Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help   FIGU-Website FIGU-Website
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View FIGU-Shop FIGU-Shop

Archive through March 24, 2010

Discussionboard of FIGU » The Mission » Translations » Archive through March 24, 2010 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page

Msmichelle

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome aboard Elba!!!

enjoy

Thomas

Post Number: 856
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nouns are capitalized in german
patricksdadinfrance@yahoo.com

Bennyray37

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a somewhat translation-related question, which is why I’m posting it here.

Does anyone know whom I should e-mail, in order to find out if FIGU will let me post their authorized and approved English translations of Contact Reports 241 through 243 on my website at some time in the future? I've already tried to contact FIGU USA using their website, and it has been about 2 weeks, and I’ve received no response one way or the other. I certainly hope that they will let me use them, but since they’re under copyright, I’m not sure. I guess if they won’t let me, I’ll just have to produce my own, using the same method as always, and post them for everyone to read.

--
Benjamin Stevens

Marc

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benjamin ~

I answered your question on March 3, sent to billymeiercontactreports_AT_myspace.com (purposely removed the @ here) which was the e-mail address provided. Did you not get my response?

Marc J.

Gaiaguysnet

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Marc,

Did you get my email (reply) to you of Feb 27th?

I've received nothing.

Thanks! :-)

Dyson

Bennyray37

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 05:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marc,

For some reason, I didn't receive the first e-mail that you sent, but I did receive the second one. Thanks for your reply, and I understand.

I guess I'll wait to see what happens in a few months. :-)

Regards.

--
Benjamin Stevens

Thomas

Post Number: 863
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ben, just wanted to mention that it appears you left out Ptaah line 36 on your latest translation of excerpt contact 438. Thought you might want to know :-)

Thomas

Post Number: 864
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction Ben, contact 248...oops!

Indi

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two messages from:
Michael Horn
Earthling

moved to 'Learning German' topic
http://forum.figu.org/us/messages/12/5722.html?1265329277

Robyn

Michael_horn

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bruce:

Si.

Gaiaguysnet

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SB52 is now on line.

There's more about CO2 from contact 489, March 1st, which we are now translating. We'll get it out asap, with all other work now on hold.

The figures were queried. Jim asked Michael asked Christian asked Billy asked Ptaah.

Ptaah said they were accurate as stated.

Cheers!
Dyson

Norm

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dyson, online where?
My Website

Bennyray37

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Thomas,

Thanks for mentioning my leaving out of Ptaah's line 36 in my translation of Contact 248. I apparently forgot to copy it when I pasted that section of my working copy into my blog.

Regards.

--
Benjamin Stevens

Gaiaguysnet

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

re SB 52 ( http://www.figu.org/ch/files/downloads/bulletin/figu_sonder_bulletin_52.pdf?downloadand ) & my above comments:

I got a good email from Jim, which he has generously allowed me to put here. It clarifies the situation a little. I'll append it.

The first draft of the translation is done. We're going to try to get it out this afternoon. I've also got about 5000(!) words drafted in reply to Michael's desire that I "clean up" my thinking, so stay tuned!

Cheers!
Dyson

Hi Dyson,

I didn't question the accuracy of any of the figures Ptaah gave to Billy, just the silly words and implications. I had written that the continual rise of the CO2 content, due especially to overpopulation, has nothing to do with any imminent "'collapse' of the atmosphere, or of the oxygen content getting low. The key point is that if the CO2 content reaches up to around 8%, then it starts becoming toxic, according to Ptaah." That part was quite OK and sensible. I had written that presently the CO2 content "is around 390 parts per million (that's about 0.4 parts per thousand, which is .04 parts per hundred), which is 0.04 %. Though its relatively rapid rise is very alarming in terms of the greenhouse warming effect, you can see that it's nowhere at all near even 4%. It's growing at a rate of about 2 parts per million per year. So the alarming part has nothing to do with any atmospheric collapse or lack of oxygen."

The CO2 content is growing linearly, not exponentially, but steeply linearly. That's of great concern of course. But not in terms of any "atmospheric collapse" or lack of oxygen. If it should grow at even 3 parts per million per year (a strong increase), you tell me how many years it would take for the CO2 content to increase from 0.04% to 8% (to 80,000 parts per million). The use of terms like "atmospheric collapse" and "lack of oyxgen" can only have been designed to let scientists and high-school graduates alike see how dumb it is of Meier-case supporters to accept it all on faith. They will think it is Meier who is silly and dumb. It won't occur to them that it is just a Plejaren tactic designed to keep Billy in an easily debunkable state.
Jim

Yes, go ahead if you wish to place that email of mine into the Forum. However, I'm not looking forward to having to argue it out on the Forum!

Gaiaguysnet

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear all,

Here it is:

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dhcrfjdx_5cdp2mqc8

Cheers!
Dyson

Thomas

Post Number: 867
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are welcome Ben and I hope the situation with your youngin' is going we= ll.

Earthling

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 04:56 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question for Dyson or any other expert translators; for example, in this sentence - fm http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/Billy_Meier/Life_And_Death_Are_Inherent_To_Each_Other

"But one hardly thinks thereover, that this Death can also fall upon the own Life. Many human beings seem quite obviously to believe that Death would only fall upon others, yet not upon the own person."

----------

Instead of writing or saying 'the own life' or 'the own person', which seems awkward in English; wouldn't it better and more correct to use 'ones' own life or 'ones' own person?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bennyray37

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, Bruce.

I would agree that translating "das eigene" as "the own" produces a result that sounds awkward in English. "The own" is a correct literal translation of the phrase, but "one's own" is a correct idiomatic translation of the phrase. In this case, I would have translated the phrase idiomatically and not literally.

Regards.

--
Benjamin Stevens

Markcampbell

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree , Mine hair .

Phenix

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your insight, Earthling, Benjamin and Mark; it has been corrected:
http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/Billy_Meier/Life_And_Death_Are_Inherent_To_Each_Other

Any help/suggestion to further improve the translation would be appreciated.

Salome,

Adam.

Gaiaguysnet

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Adam (et al),

'Life and Death are inseparably connected together' (they are inherent to each other) by Billy.

(Should be) 'Life and Death are Inseparably Connected Together' (they are inherent to each other) by Billy.

Death belongs to Life as well as Life belongs to Death.

(Should be) Death belongs to life as well as life belongs to death.

And so on and so forth ....

(Original) Aber kaum jemand denkt daran, dass dieser Tod auch das eigene Leben treffen kann. Ganz offenbar scheinen viele Menschen zu glauben, dass der Tod nur die andern treffe, jedoch nicht die eigene Person.

(Adam) But one hardly thinks thereover, that this Death can also fall upon the own Life. Many human beings seem quite obviously to believe that Death would only fall upon others, yet not upon the own person.

(Dyson) But hardly anyone considers that this death can also befall his own life. Quite obviously, many humans appear to believe that death befalls only others, not, however, one's own self.

(Dyson's attempt at New Figuese) But hardly anyone considers that this death can also befall his or her own life. Quite obviously, many human beings appear to believe that death befalls only others, not, however, one's own self.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalization#Nouns

That's really poor English, Adam, but your hearts are in the right place and from what I've taken the time to look at, it's not likely to lead to serious misunderstandings. Don't get me wrong, if I had to translate into German, it'd be poor German, and I take it that English is neither your first language nor is it Nicolas's. English rules demand that we don't capitalise a lot of the nouns you've done that to.

As I previously mentioned on this thread, there seems to be an informal school of thought among FIGU, native-German-speakers that English is such a poor and confused/confusing language that there's very little point to anyone making much of an effort to either write it correctly or even bother to worry about close-to-optimum translations. The theory is that bad translations will somehow force people to learn German.

I personally find those ideas horrifying.

I was recently bemoaning over the phone, with another translator who shall go nameless, the plunging of the once lofty translation standards from FIGU.

This brief excerpt from Wendelle Stevens' book, "Message from the Pleiades - The Contact Notes of Eduard Billy Meier" (parts of pages 1 & 2 of his preface) reveals how fastidious Billy once was with translations. Now anything goes, with even non-human translating software being above official FIGU criticism. (Nothing personal, of course, Benjamin.)

The "We" referred to in the first sentence of the second to last paragraph ("We have tried for years to agree on one or another of the translations ..." ) refers to Billy and Wendelle.

Wendelle on translations

But spare a thought for us poor little idiots who actually try to translate this material into English - a language so corrupted that trying to communicate in it without grave misunderstandings is now almost impossible. The whole "Meier/liar" imbroglio is a glowing illustration of my point. English has been so twisted by the Bafath puppets that we don't have any satisfactory way to morally/ethically distinguish between the hypothetical axe murderer who who laughs insanely and lies, "I only want to show your neighbour how sharp my axe is!" and the the householder who saves his neighbour's life by "lying", "He left ten minutes ago, headed that way." Both are "liars". --> "Lying" is ALWAYS wrong/bad. --> Both people are (equally) bad people. For crying in the sink! We need neologisms (new words) to deal with the new ideas which characterise the new times we are finally entering. And new words, such as one word which means "lie" when we do it to gratify our egos or fill our pockets like Randy Winters, and another word when we conceal a dangerous truth to selflessly save lives like Billy Meier. The Goblet of Truth is making progress in that direction, but it's daunting to think that Billy is going to have to reform English in order to make it work.

Nobody much seems to have an adequate comprehension that the Bafth have been sitting very firmly in the driving seat of this blood-drenched planet for thousands of years.

Nobody much seems to have an adequate understanding that words - plain old words - are the signposts to ideas, and if you want to really screw up ideas, the most efficient way to go about it is to really screw up words first. And that's what the Bafath have very obviously done, particularly with the English language, for reasons upon which I shall not elaborate here.
as called* that Billy's texts be translated into "English English", such as, "for reasons upon which I shall not elaborate here". This still sounds really affected and pretentious to me, having grown up in a working class U.S. city, in spite of the many decades since then, so I write (& talk) more like a normal person instead of the Queen, but it remains a challenge to do Billy's texts justice.

I'll try leave this FIGU-English-translations-mess alone, and get back to my own translations now and wish all the producers and consumers of the unauthorised ones lots of luck. :-)

Cheers!

Dyson

*Plejadisch-plejarische Kontaktberichte, Gespräche, Block 9 Seiten 379 & 380

Dreihundertneunundsiebzigster Kontact

Freitag, 7. Januar, 2005, 00:12 Uhr

Pleiadian/Plejaren Contact Reports, Volume 9 Pages 379 & 380

379th contact

Friday, January 7th, 2005, 12:12AM

Billy ... Aber mal eine Frage bezüglich der Englisch-Übersetzungen: Welche Sprachform sollen wir verwenden, das amerikanische Englisch oder das englische Englisch?

Billy ... But still a question in regard to the English translations: which form of language should we utilise, the American English or the English English?

Ptaah

45. Vom amerikanischen Englisch solltet ihr unbedingt absehen, denn es handelt sich um eine banausenhafte, ungebildete und unkultivierte Sprache, die nicht den Werten deiner Bücher und denen aller eurer Schriften entspricht.

Ptaah

45. You should unconditionally refrain from American English because it deals with a philistine, uneducated and uncultivated language, which does not correspond to the values of your books and those of all your texts.

46. Also sollte ein kultiviertes Englisch benutzt werden für alle Übersetzungen, und dieses Kultivierte findet sich einzig und allein im englischen Englisch.

46. Therefore a cultivated English should be used for all translations and this cultivated English can only be found in English English.

47. Und dass ihr demgemäss handelt und also das englische Englisch benutzt, ist unser Wunsch und Begehr.

47. And it is our wish and desire that you act accordingly and, therefore, that English English is used.

Billy Danke, das hilft uns sehr, folglich wir deine Anweisung befolgen werden, die sich hinter dem Begehr und Wunsch versteckt.

Billy Thanks, that helps us very much, consequently we will follow your advice which is hidden behind the desire and wish.

Phenix

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peace in wisdom be with you,

Ganz deutlich und hilfreich, Dyson; danke.
The capitalization in this text is the very last trace of a leaning, which i developed in the early hours of my discovery of FIGU and my subsequent involvement with translations - Michael Horn was rather prompt to cure me and a couple of other forum members of that leaning, though...:-)

The necessary corrections are made: http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/Billy_Meier/Life_And_Death_Are_Inherent_To_Each_Other

Our webmasters, Stephen Moore and Marksmanr-Reece, shall post this new, improved version also at the corresponding page of the CFH site: http://www.thecircleforhumanity.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=152&Itemid=64&lang=en

Salome,

Adam.

Borthwey

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benjamin, huge thanks for sharing your translations efforts.

It’s very good that you are posting the german originals as well. I only read the translations side by side with the originals (with the “Fox Splitter” Firefox add-on) and always check the German when something sounds strange (or is more interesting).

Regarding Contact 248,

248. Eine freie Drogenabgabe in einfachen Drogensüchtigenstätten oder auf Strassen und Plätzen oder in unkontrollierten Wohngelegenheiten an Drogensüchtige ist in keiner Form gutzuheissen, denn es fordert das gesamte Elend nur noch mehr, auch wenn die Beschaffungskriminalität etwas absinken mag.

248. A free drug supply for drug addicts, in simple drug addict sites or on streets and in places or in unregulated residential facilities, is to be approved in no way, for the whole thing only calls for even more misery, even if the acquisitive criminal activity may decline somewhat.

The translation I got from "Beschaffungskriminalität" was “drug-related crime”. Maybe that's more appropriate than “acquisitive criminal activity”?
David

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page