Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List FIGU-Website FIGU-Website
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View FIGU-Shop FIGU-Shop

Archive through February 19, 2010

Discussionboard of FIGU » The Mission » Translations » Archive through February 19, 2010 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page

Gaiaguysnet

Post Number: 943
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

I was up most of the night reading vol 10. It's the sort of book you can't put down. I'll go over my notes and write a bit about it over on the "German Books and Booklets" thread soon, and excerpt some translations from it to post ... somewhere.

First, Robyn, you are a breath of fresh air. You words paint a clear 3d picture into which I can reach to explore your mind, and I do like what I find there. Thanks.

Second, back to Hundesfotte. We all know that "c..t" is an ugly word, but what about Hundesfotte? If you read German, you'd be just as scandalised. So it's - in a sense - in our heads.

A lesson there.

Nevertheless, can we try to tone down the purely GRATUITOUS ugly obscenities now appearing on the list, please? I want my 11 year old niece to be able to read this forum without me being ashamed of the foul language used here. I don't give a fig if that makes me uncool.

But translations are different, and we cannot beautify words which are deliberately ugly, simply because we want to. The few words, like cat, dog, c..t, etc. which have almost perfectly matching German equivalents should be easy.

"Bitch" (USAmerican) is not right here. 1.) It does not mean bitch, even in USAmerican slang, it means dog's c..t. 2.) It's supposed to be "English English", not "USAmerican English".

"Dog's vagina"? :-/ I don't think it has quite the right sound to it somehow.

Seriously, that would be "Hundesscheide", not Hindesfotte.

And "hound" is not "Hund", it's "Jagdhund".

So, if you are not really competent to offer actual constructive advice or valuable subjective opinions here about correct translation from German to English or from English to German, please try to refrain from contributing, not to mention introducing even more languages - even if they are similar sounding - because it just makes the difficult job of us volunteer translators even harder and muddies water already too cloudy for other readers. Thanks.

Cheers!
Dyson

Markcampbell

Post Number: 374
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that some folk use the word 'humilty' when they mean 'modesty'. Let's not impound their vehicles over it .

MC

Techieatwork

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dyson et all entangled with those words.

Let's think for a moment that you are a reader for the first time 200 or 300 or even 800 years from now, and those words don't register as obscene, and don't find any place under any context in your present life, so, still upholding to the truth, Billy portrayed the foul meaning that is has today, in our very depraved time and culture.

Perhaps just translate it for what it is, and have the footnote explaining that this is a derogatory word used in year blah blah by earth humans, on times where values were really archaic or primal (rudimentary, obscene) ?
--
Salome
Carlos

Creational

Post Number: 398
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Dyson,

I am Persian/Iranian and was brought up with Rumi's unsurpassed poetry. When I read his translated masterpieces by what is considered as some of the best known translators, they are so horrendously falsified that tears involuntarily trickle down my cheeks.

So, it is an undeniable fact that a good chunk of any translated literature loses its intended meanings and values even with the best possible and literal translations.

Therefore, we, the so called English speaking students, are admittedly already at a disadvantage to start with. With each additional mistake such as “humility”, which totally alters the value of the word from negative to positive we are adding to these falsifications almost exponentially.

The long introduction was to firstly support your point entirely and then wholeheartedly appreciate your knowledgeable and affectionate position and actions for correcting the many mistakes.

Dear Dyson, English is my second language and after decades of learning it both academically and socially, I still find myself handicapped in many occasions. Thus, learning German at this stage in my life seems quite unlikely.

Additionally, I have found myself with such an intense thirst for Billy’s material that I don’t have the patience to wait that long. For a person who is dying from thirst a half glass of water is better than none at all.

I also somehow have this peace of mind knowing that the original German manuscript is always available for cross reference and no falsification can obviously be done to the original ones anymore. So, Billy's material are here to stay as he himself confirmed it on occasions.

Fitzgerald was praised for bringing Rumi to the west even with gross falsification and because of his efforts Rumi was discovered and later greatly appreciated by western societies.

I have no doubt that Dyson, Vivienne, Michael, Robyn, Benjamin, Hector, James and so on are similarly introducing Billy to non-German speaking majority with a much finer quality and the ultimate subject matter.

At the end of the day, mistakes, we will make; and knowledge, we will accumulate; by carefully learning from those mistakes.
I personally will never again confuse the meaning of humility due to your well supported and reasonable corrections and references.

Somewhere in one of your post you couldn’t have put it better when you said that each line of each verse of Billy’s each books takes weeks of contemplating and once we realize that, then I think we are doing fairly well in this life term.

BTW, Thanks for the great advice on the softwares.

Love,
Zhila,

Thank you Billy.

Victor

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dyson say "I've got to admit that I'm shocked, but a search of the archives for "humble" shows 60 hits, MOST of which portray it in a favourable light, so non-German-readers and/or newbies can be excused, to some extent. I forget how little is in English. Some of the unwitting perpetrators of this false teaching are, official FIGU (bad) translations, Michael Horn, Jim Deardorff (with some qualifications) Hector (which really puzzles me, given what Billy told him personally) Robyn (also with some qualifications) Benjamin (who demonstrates the translation problem. I KNOW he's on Billy's side!) and then all the forum's usual suspects."

allo Dyson, it look to me like you try to put all them good people down. Why? No necesary to talk like that. No necesary to say there names. That only thing I wish you stop do.
Sorry for interuption.

Earthling

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 05:39 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dyson: fwiw; naturally, as someone who is well read in Billy's teaching, your contributions are most welcome and most appreciated, however you often come off a bit bossy, boss.

Didn't someone once say something about removing the splinter in ones own eye before trying to remove it from his neighbors eye?

and yeah, I've read the bit about diplomacy and prophets - "With Earth humans, predominates quite especially, the erroneous and dangerous view that a good announcer of truth, a good preacher or a good teacher of the true teachings, and so forth, and therefore also a good prophet, must be full of humble bearing, only speak pleasing and elegant, chosen and diplomatic words, and must always only be friendly."

Regards, Bruce

Hector

Post Number: 557
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dyson, I admit I chose the wrong word, you explain it correctly, I used humility instead of modesty. My english is not good enough to distinguish between such subtleties. Of course almost every participant in this forum clearly knows that Unterwürfigkeit (submissiveness) is not a human attitude that should be praised.

Phi_spiral

Post Number: 499
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dyson

I understand now where you are coming from regarding the word humility.
We are on the same page now. Thanks for the clarification.

Kind regards
Bob

Sanjin

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for bringing up this issue, as it does lift up the consciousness of many who read it. Its certainly astounding how simple words can affect the whole consciousness and acting of a person. That's why it is so important to get the translations as correct as possible and also correct mistakes when they are noticed.

To humiliate is what was done to me through slander. But no worries, the truth will always end up winning.

While we are at it, I apologize for contributing that error to your group. I've only seen the warning on the top of the page and overlooked the "officially translated by FIGU", which came out pretty bold the other day.

http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/Billy_Meier/gaiaguys/meieriowv7p1,383,v8p69.htm

Any idea how it can be fixed without causing too much Unruhe (unrest)?

PS: Mariann advised me to stay away for only a while, which I did (although not as long as she said).
36.The human is another person, when, surrounded by the rays of the heavenly creational sunrise, the pure delight of awakening nature streams through him.

Gaiaguysnet

Post Number: 947
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear all,

Thanks for the kind words, etc.

We teeter precariously at the brink of the abyss, whether we are awake to that fact or not. The malign extraterrestrials under the pyramid have manipulated US, through all the world's religions, to destroy our very own planet.

The vital point about humility is simply that the Bafath have worked hard to make us all feel like worthless filthy vermin, and it shows.

The reality is quite the opposite. Each and every one of us is the bearer of an enlivening fragment of Creation itself, and, as such, is deserving of the same reverence granted to Creation itself.

Read what Christian preacher, Jonathan Edwards had to say in Enfield, Connecticut, on July 8, 1741: "The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in his eyes, than the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours. You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince; and yet it is nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell the last night; that you was suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep. And there is no other reason to be given, why you have not dropped into hell since you arose in the morning, but that God's hand has held you up. There is no other reason to be given why you have not gone to hell, since you have sat here in the house of God, provoking his pure eyes by your sinful wicked manner of attending his solemn worship. Yea, there is nothing else that is to be given as a reason why you do not this very moment drop down into hell."

That's just the thing to bolster self-esteem, eh? Ideas are important. The power of thought is enormous.

Once you start to be exposed to the truth, and learn to recognise it and accept it and actually live it, then you can also recognise that nobody is perfect and everybody makes mistakes, and this happens in order to help us learn. There's nothing shameful about it. It's an opportunity to improve. I mentioned the names as I did merely to demonstrate how badly the English-speaking world had been turned around by the sort of hogwash "the Very Reverend" Jonathan Edwards vomits forth.

I'm not bossing anybody around. Please feel free to utterly ignore the teachings and texts from Billy that I try to accurately convey here if you like, but I do wonder why you are here if that is the case.

It is my responsibility to reach out to assist those who honestly reach out for the truth. It's a primary creational directive.

From And Still They Fly
pp.70-71

"The Hard Language of Truth

With the regular repetition of a striking clock, the harsh and rough-hewn language in Billy's scripts is rejected. A large number of readers are bothered by this fact and prefer to turn to other books whose contents do not attack their psyche so fiercely but instead, soothe it like oil and balsam. Their thoughts can continue along the same old track without having to seek new ways through toilsome efforts. Above all, it is much easier to hang on to traditional ideas than to be faced with completely new facts that can also be very painful every now and then. It must be clear that the truth always sounds hard to a person who finds it annoying and even offensive, so that they feel personally attacked. It also sounds hard because the mirror of their own faultiness and shortcomings is often held before their very noses, although they assess themselves as being almost faultless. Furthermore, the teachings of the spirit require a completely different interpretation. This just so happens to be the way it is found in the nature of the matter. There is no further development if a person thinks the same way in spiritual matters as in physical matters. The language of diplomacy, as commonly used among us on Earth, serves primarily as a means of gaining some type of advantage at the cost of others. The realities are usually improperly and falsely rendered with this form of language and they degenerate into deadly misunderstandings. The truth may never be spread in a diplomatic form. Truth must call the facts by name, as they really are, straightforwardly without belittlement or misappropriation. According to the words of Semjase, paraphrasing and sweet-talking give false impressions with the result that everything is misinterpreted and inappropriately spread, which can lead to renewed false teachings. The language of truth has always been very hard and wherever the attempt was made to paraphrase it, it has been distorted beyond recognition and the real sense was lost. In bearing witness to the truth, a falsification may not occur [note from DD: ie. "must not be permitted to occur"] under any circumstance, as it is a question of the Creational Laws and Directives, which are unwaveringly and forever valid hitherto into all eternity and are in no need of change.

We should thus bear in mind that truth might may not be set forth with fine tongues and soft words. People who are far enough in their spiritual development to understand and grapple the hard language do not take account at Billy's writing style. Naturally, the same fact can be depicted for the reader in various ways, made palatable so that his or her appetite is not spoiled. But Billy makes use of his hard style with full intent because most of our contemporaries are only roused to their own thoughts in this manner.

According to the Pleiadians, it will not be easy to make this clear to the people of Earth in their present stage of development. They are already too softened and have strayed from the knowledge of truth to the point that they energetically resist everything that sounds like the hard truth.

Hence, know thyself. He who bears the hard, undiplomatic language of truth and acknowledges its worth will find himself on the right path of veritable evolution. Otherwise, for the time being, this way will remain barred to him through hindrances that he must clear away."

Salome,
Dyson

Jonzie

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh by all means, let's not translate anything which might contain a negative word or cuss word. It is SOOO much better being ignorant instead.

Grow up. You have two choices: either be correct or be 'politically correct'. The word was used for a reason. If possible, open your mind and stop looking at the word and start looking at the reason. A word is only a 'cuss' word if we give it that value. Otherwise, it is just another word.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."

Michael_horn

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dyson,

I understand the distinction so I am wondering why you posted the three following excerpts, i.e. to actually show the difference or to infer that they were wrong usage of the word, which they are not:

65. You have come to teach oneness and unity, however not humility, subservience and bondage or enslaved servitude and fanaticism, and, however, also not disunity and dualism or trinity, as it is with certain religions.
http://www.theyfly.com/news2005/november06/Nov2006/sfth_exp.htm

746. Peaceful, colored human races were for centuries, and still are in the current time, missionized to by the white races and brought under their Christian religion’s sword of humility.
http://www.theyfly.com/lost/Archives/meier.aa76,91.htm

OM says that neither the JHWH nor the prophet exercise force or
coercion, nor do they teach that force and coercion (power and force) should be exercised.
Neither are they punishing, nor do they order punishment. But gods and idols demand subordination and humility before them, and they create force and coercion, and therefore exploitation and enslavement through angst and fear which results in the subjugation and breaking of the will in the case
of independent and self-determining thoughts and behaviour.
http://www.theyfly.com/PDF/The%20Jschwjsch%20is%20Human.pdf

505. Earth Humans, quite especially, are ruled by the erroneous and dangerous view that a good announcer of truth, a good preacher or a good teacher of the true teachings, etc., and also a good prophet, must be full of humble bearing, only speak pleasing and elegant, chosen and diplomatic words, and must always be friendly.
http://www.theyfly.com/news2005/sept05/sept05.htm

505. With Earth humans, predominates quite especially, the erroneous and dangerous view that a good announcer of truth, a good preacher or a good teacher of the true teachings, and so forth, and therefore also a good prophet, must be full of humble bearing, only speak pleasing and elegant, chosen and diplomatic words, and must always only be friendly.
http://www.theyfly.com/gaia/meierv6p379.htm

The human beings on Earth would rather donate – because they are religious, sectarian, ideological, or philosophical believers – a lot of money to religions, ideologies and philosophies as well as for wars etc., because they believe to be able to buy their salvation or security. They hope to enter heaven in this way and be allowed to humble and worship in the heavenly dust at the feet of their imaginary god; or they hope to be protected from terrorist attacks in their country etc., when supporting wars from which they also hope to benefit when putting their money into them.

http://www.theyfly.com/newsflash93/Regarding%20Translation%20of%20Meier%27s%20Newest%20Book.pdf

However, if there are wrongly translated texts on my site, where humility is incorrectly used instead of modesty, let me know so corrections can be made.

Michael_horn

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some thoughts and observations.

Please let's remember some of the basics of the spiritual and consciousness related teaching. Things like: observing and monitoring each and every thought, feeling and impulse to action, 24/7.

Taking complete responsibility for everything we possibly can in our individual lives.

Observing nature and seeing the Creation in everything.

Loving ourselves and each other.

All of this can be done in any language.

Some people will learn German in this lifetime, some won't. We can still do our best to allow understanding to unfold from within, stimulated by our own thoughtful contemplation, observation of externals and the prompting of the teaching as we understand it, as our understanding evolves. And we have the benefit of those who are doing their best to correct faulty translations and the faulty understanding that can result.

Even when we have the right words and right understanding, that too will evolve over time.

My point is that the unintended effect of berating is discouragement, resentment and that all time un-favorite...humility. We needn't grovel and take on unnecessary self-criticism that dilutes from the productive application of honest self-reflection, self-acceptance and best efforts to understand and live by the spiritual teaching.

The word commandment was redefined as recommendation. Let's live the spirit and meaning of the teaching and be strong and neutral-positive. The truth itself may indeed be harsh but being harsh with one another isn't necessarily serving the truth.

We can stand in truth plainly, unapologetically, undiplomatically...without being fanatical.

Lonnie

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonzie,

Do you know what the male counterpart of "Hundesfotte" is? You seem like someone who knows.
Lonnie O'day Morton
FIGU Passive Member
Hollywood, FL USA

Bennyray37

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, everyone.

Just to let everyone know, I've read the recent posts about "modesty" versus "humility," and I went through all of my translated works and ensured that the German word "bescheiden" or one of its forms is now translated as "modest" or one of its forms, instead of as "humble" or one of its forms. I will try my best to keep this in mind in the future and always translate it as "modest."

Regards.

--
Benjamin Stevens

Edward

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Benjamin....

You are quite correct with your translation of "Hundsfott" as being "Dog
Cunt"!

The same word is used here in the country I live in: "Honde Kut!"

I can sometimes have a temper and have used the word at times, also(Please
forgive me guys....:-)..)

Thus, I can comprehend Billy in all aspects when he utilizes the word.

You DO...have to Blow Off Steam...no?

Edward.

Smukhuti

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblet of Truth is a good reference to cross-check German words to get the FIGU perspective of it. For e.g. selfless(ness) is mostly used to substitute "Bescheiden" - as also "modest(y)" to a lesser extent; but never "humility". In fact - in the first 9 chapters, "humility" or "humble(ness)" are never used.

More such German words can be cross referenced from official FIGU translations posted in the futureofmankind site by using the search functionality.

Just a thought.
Salome.
Suv

Lonnie

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Further thoughts and observations,

I agree with Michael's statement:

"Some people will learn German in this lifetime, some won't. We can still do our best to allow understanding to unfold from within, stimulated by our own thoughtful contemplation, observation of externals and the prompting of the teaching as we understand it, as our understanding evolves. And we have the benefit of those who are doing their best to correct faulty translations and the faulty understanding that can result."

This line of reasoning corresponds with Robyn's original comments as well as my own and that of other FIGU members that I have spoken to.

As we all know, the German language is unique and is the only language that can express the teaching accurately and specifically. Some words may of may not be translated into other languages depending on it's usage and whether or not there is a need for it. If the translation turns into something foul and derogatory, what does this accomplish? As long as you have the MEANING of the original teaching and as long as you can COMPREHEND the meaning then you have received what the code of the mission was meant to convey internally.

Yes, the code of the mission, of course, is important and necessary. But it is only for those who cannot comprehend or gain understanding of the teaching at the time. It's like a safeguard and helper for all of us. Having this knowledge and insight, even though everyone will look at things a little differently, is absolutely ESSENTIAL in uniting us together as one for this common purpose. My thoughts.

Concerning humility and being humble, we all know that is negative and causes stagnation and psychological problems. Dyson's arguments seem logical, very thorough and convincing. But I think we need the collaboration of more than one good translator. From what I understand, the best translators are those that, not only have read and studied all of the writings, but were born into the German language in a German speaking country. Christian, where are you?
Lonnie O'day Morton
FIGU Passive Member
Hollywood, FL USA

Michael_horn

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. Just to assure everyone that I haven't gone too "soft" here, I know that Dyson will also appreciate my pointing out that the beautiful translation of Mariann's introduction to Billy's new book nonetheless had over 15 errors in it, which are being corrected.

It doesn't mean that there was any intention to mislead, confuse, etc. anyone. This is a nudge to pay better attention to details like spelling (use spell check, etc.). As much as we want and look forward to this information, we encourage you to not rush yourselves and end up both compromising the quality of your work and having to spend more time reviewing and correcting it.

Gaiaguysnet

Post Number: 960
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Michael, (et al)

Thanks for your postings, (155-157). I'll make a few comments in reply. I guess you'd know me well enough by now that if I found a clanger on theyfly.com, you'd be the first to know! :-)

No, the six translations you cited were fine. Actually, five of them were (A-hem!) mine, and the other one was a FIGU one! I had (wrongly) assumed that it would be self-evident that I was using them to demonstrate that there actually IS now sufficient out there in English to make it clear that humility is not a good thing. Sorry for any misunderstanding. My reference to you, as being a perp, was in relation to the correspondence which surfaced when I searched your site for "humble", etc., indicating to me that the modest-as-opposed-to-humble matter still needed work. As I said, you can all be excused. I blame The Great English Dumbing-down Conspiracy, referred to by Quetzal back in 1989.

http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/Billy_Meier/gaiaguys/meierv5p50-52.htm

Right. On to your next post, for which I am grateful. Of course being direct and undiplomatic is not the same as being sarcastic or nasty or disrespectful. Let's all love and respect one another, and recognise ourselves as human beings - individual bearers of the eternal enlivening spirit of Creation itself - not the pack of dirty, crawling, canine lickspittles, or flock of sheep (or herd of cattle) the religions would have us be.

But I'm sure you'd want me to point out, Michael, that when you wrote, "My point is that the unintended effect of berating is discouragement, resentment and that all time un-favorite...humility." that you do appear to be berating me for berating people. Oh dear! Does this mean that I'm now berating you for berating me for berating you? I better stop right here before we both get pulled down into the whirling maelstrom of exponential, self-referential silliness, as we almost did a while ago on that other thread about generalisations about gereralisations about .....

(Sorry. I was gone, but now I'm back.)

Finally, your last post, number 157.

Nope. I reckon you've gone too soft, mate. I liked you better when you were the bad cop and I got to play the good cop! Now we've changed sides completely! And you used to be so GOOD at it! But you do deserve a rest. So just get outta my way, buddy, because I know all about how to deal with TROUBLEMAKERS!! And you know who you are.

Seriously, though. I'm glad you mentioned the "15 mistakes" made by Vivienne in her very first official FIGU translation, because it provides me with the opportunity I would not otherwise enjoy to hold forth on one of my favourite topics - the need for making mistakes.

It says, down at the bottom of that long and difficult translation, "checked by Dyson & Mariann", but WE obviously didn't check for stuff like typos and mis-spelt words! And obviously neither did Vivienne! (And our spell-check function is busted.) I normally do the proof reading, but this time, after several long delays from FIGU, and many, many frustrating formatting problems due to (Apple [Grrr!] related) file incompatibilities, I detected a degree of ... impatience ... which - I thought - should be addressed. So I said, "OK. If you're sure you checked it, and there are no more typos." So NEXT time, it will be better checked. It is not only BETTER to allow people to make their own mistakes, it's obviously also a lot EASIER. But - in defence of my little friend - Mariann reckons you exaggerating about the errors (guessing you might be stressed - Haha! She doesn't know you as well as I do!) and some of them are just English vs. USAmerican differences. I don't really care. I just helped with the translation. I can't be expected to help with how words are spelt!

I waited patiently for three long years and watched more people than I could count get deliberately and seriously misled here on the forum, knowing that mistakes have to be made. But if you find your little girl or boy playing with matches, maybe letting them get a little burn on the finger is not such a bad idea, but don't let them kill themselves, or burn the house down.

Thanks again for you good input here, Michael, and the nice dorothydixers.

Cheers!

Dyson

Jonzie

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lonnie - Please understand I am not attempting to promote cursing. I am saying there are literal translations of words ... and slang meanings of expression.
You asked if I know the male equal of 'Hundsfott'. Yes, there are eleven different words - [male form] in German for the same expression - as nouns plus two more as adjectives. If you want these words, I will give them to you in private as I don't feel it is appropriate to post them here.

imjonzie@q.com . Write me and I'll send you the list of male gendered words in German and English.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."

Gaiaguysnet

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Christian,

You wrote*, "It's obvious that you did not understand the subtleties in the German text behind the "würde", "hätte", "können" und "wäre" and Billy's mentioning of Jim Jones."

I'm quite relieved that you have identified all this difficulty as a translation inadequacy on my part, since translation inadequacies, (both quantitatively and qualitatively) are probably my main concerns; from FIGU USA in the first instance, and on this forum, in the second instance.

Please, dear Christian, help us out here with "würde", "hätte", "können" und "wäre" and Billy's mentioning of Jim Jones.

Let's put this translation problem behind us once and for all. How should those quotes from Billy and Ptaah BE officially translated? Thanks.

*(quote)It's obvious that you did not understand the subtleties in the German text behind the "würde", "hätte", "können" und "wäre" and Billy's mentioning of Jim Jones. - I think it would be smarter to focus on what is and what should be done than "what could possibly have happened if something would have developed in such and such a way... (unquote)
http://forum.figu.org/us/messages/2200/8832.html?1266514815#POST47303

Yours in patient anticipation,
Dyson

Bennyray37

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here’s another sentence from Meier that I’ve been having difficulties with. It appears after Ptaah’s 144th sentence in the current Contact Report that I’m working on, being the 236th. I imagine that Meier must have used an idiom that makes sense in the German language but that doesn’t make too much sense in English if translated literally. I was hoping to receive input from any as to what an appropriate English idiom would be or what an otherwise correct translation of his sentence would be. His statement is as follows:

“Now, I can’t get the missing data, and I also can’t just leave the two of them lying in the salts because if I can’t calculate the data for them, then it means for both of them that they will inevitably land in the bush.”

“Nun, ich kann die fehlenden Daten nicht erhalten, und im Salze liegenlassen kann ich die beiden auch nicht, denn wenn ich ihnen die Daten nicht errechnen kann, dann bedeutet dies für die beiden, dass sie unweigerlich im Busch landen.”

--
Benjamin Stevens

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page