Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help   FIGU-Website FIGU-Website
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View FIGU-Shop FIGU-Shop

Learning German

Discussionboard of FIGU » The Mission » Learning German « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 01, 2006Isabellacoca23 05-01-06  05:59 am
Archive through September 10, 2006Psycloud23 09-10-06  05:56 pm
Archive through December 05, 2006Eddy23 12-05-06  04:03 am
Archive through November 07, 2007J_rod723 11-07-07  10:40 pm
Archive through February 22, 2009Norm23 02-22-09  07:57 pm
Archive through March 19, 2010Sonik_0123 03-19-10  05:19 pm
Archive through April 18, 2010Gaiaguysnet23 04-18-10  02:48 pm
Archive through November 14, 2010Jokoveltman23 11-14-10  02:53 am
Archive through August 23, 2012Eric23 08-23-12  09:34 pm
Archive through July 30, 2013Celesco23 07-30-13  07:57 am
Archive through July 20, 2015Kiriona23 07-20-15  09:47 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Suggestions on websites and sources to learn German. And posting experiences in learning German.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page

Meditating_farmer

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For anyone thinking of learning German, I would recommend centering your work on bilingual reading. The "Assimil" language learning book really helped kickstart my learning and was reasonably engaging. All it took was 30-45 minutes each day for a few months and I was already able to understand most of the German in the English-German spiritual teaching books(using the english pages as a reference).

After Assimil, I began reading regular bilingual editions of novels--Herman Hesse, Goethe, etc. In the beginning it took a decent amount of patience to decipher the grammatical structures and words. Now, about six months in, it is all very smooth.

The key is to assimilate German naturally by reading full paragraphs and pages rather than just studying a Grammar textbook or Vocabulary cards. Those things certainly have a role, but the important thing in the beginning is to develop an intuitive understanding of the language--the fundamental grammar and vocabulary will come naturally as a result of bilingual reading.

I would start specifically emphasizing grammar and vocabulary after you develop a basic feel for the language(after you finish the Assimil book, for example). Memrise is a great website I have used from the start.

German is really quite fun once you get a hang of it. It's also very easy compared to many languages. Us English-speaking learners have it easy compared to native Arabic or native Russian speakers who are learning German. English is, after all, a Germanic language.

from Die Art zu leben
"188) Der Mensch ist vom Scheitel bis zur Sohle nichts anderes als ein materiell gewordener Gedanke der allumfassenden Schöpfung—ein schöpferischer Gedanke in sichtbarer Gestalt."

"188) From head to toe the human being is nothing other than a thought of the all-embracing Creation which has become material—a creational thought in visible form."

Msmichelle

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 04:42 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Meditating Farmer, I'll order a copy and give it a test.

salome
MsMichelle

Kenneth

Post Number: 439
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found in the Questions and Answer section, 2009. Does anyone have a recommendation as to the preferred computer program?

Hello Billy,
In today’s world it is possible to install a computer program that actually reads out aloud pdf text files in any language and of varying quality. I would like to know if it is possible to receive the hidden codes that are embedded in the German text by listening to them via a digital robot voice (not human) even though I would not understand a word of what is being said?
Peace John

Yes, that’s possible. It’s not the sound or tone of the words, but the correct sequence of letters.

Sincerely
Kenneth

Tyler_rutland

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 06:33 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had a great experience playing some of my favourite old video games in German versions. Especially getting to read dialogue is great, and from the visual cues getting to figure out the less obvious sense of many words and phrases was very helpful fpr me.

from LIEBE Lehrbrief Nr. 27, page 296
"Die Schöpfung schuf alles in Liebe und Logik und legte dieselbe Liebe in alle ihre Kreaturen, damit das Leben selbst Liebe sei."

"Creation created everything in love and logic and put the same love in all its creatures, so that life itself is love."

Tyler_rutland

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy wrote fairytales too..

Tyler_rutland

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, after feeling the sense of verses out of the Goblet, I can't give my support to learning German from other sources anymore. It is just the best to learn German from the FIGU dictionary itself because it is the best German that there is.

It's probably the best resource of any language book, and anyway I have a dream that we could turn this forum into a place that reflects FIGU material in every single facet, so that the whole forum becomes a learning ground.

Tyler_rutland

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Es war, als ich nach Indien reiste, da begegnete ich in Mehrauli in einer Burgruine einem uralten Mann. Er war ein weiser Derwisch und so sehr alt, dass ihm der lange, weisse Bart bis zum Bauche reichte. Er war sehr lieb und so gütig wie der beste Grossvater. Und weil er so lieb, gütig und so weise war, blieb ich lange Zeit bei ihm, gar an ein ganzes Jahr, weil ich von ihm lernen und selbst auch weise werden wollte."

https://shop.figu.org/sites/default/files/leseproben/der_rosarote_kristall.pdf

This is the first paragraph from 'Der rosarote Kristall'. I give a challenge, that even if you do not understand German yet and it is a challenge for you: read this and put your most storytelling-est voice into it!

Read it out loud as if it were being read by the most wonderful and great storyteller that you can dream of. You'll see how simple and uncomplicated German is, if only you show yourself how simple and uncomplicated it is!

Kenneth

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone please direct me to a U-tube link of Billy's contact reports in Swiss-German?

Sincerely
Kenneth

Msmichelle

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 05:37 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry my dear Tyler in the future your Dream will come true.... we are definitely a classroom at the same time we are teachers and learners.....
MsMichelle

Davidmg

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenneth:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyHE-lyyrbswadu2DJ1FXw/videos
Davidmg

Kenneth

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Davidmg,

Thank you very much; that's exactly what I was looking for.

Sincerely
Kenneth

Lemontree

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

The "Assimil" books @meditating_farmer is talking about are the ones on this site: https://www.assimil.com ?

Thanks

Hello Lemontree, at this time FIGU only allows approved FIGU links to be posted on the forum. Thank you Scott-Moderator

(Message edited by scott on October 03, 2020)

Lemontree

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2021 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

After trying apps, youtube channels, etc., I found a really good site to learn German: https://germanwithlaura.com

I like because she has grammar guides on almost everything. More importantly she managed to condense the dozen different charts for declensions, etc., into just one. She has free content, and a free course. And a paid course too.

Trust me it's worth a look :-) On this page she tells you which guides to start: https://germanwithlaura.com/learn-the-rules-of-german-grammar/

Hope it helps!

Hello Lemontree, Normally FIGU prefers FIGU links only, but I feel in this instance this would be acceptable due to the nature of the mission and the tremendous knowledge contained in the German Books distributed by FIGU.

(Message edited by scott on June 08, 2021)

Eddieamartin

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2021 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Lemontree

Thanks for sharing!
Salome,
Eddie

In the *Goblet of the Truth* there it says:
Live always in love and in peace, foster freedom and harmony on Earth and never forget the real truth. Foster your life always in goodness of heart and live in the true BEING of the Creation. The *Goblet of the Truth* will wake you, not to the bane - but to the boon. (pg.3)

Reen71b

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2021 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Lemontree! I bookmarked the page and will give it a look. I've been wanting to start learning German. I don't know why, but I find learning a new language a bit intimidating. Especially German. I'll have to get over that if I'm ever going to learn. Thanks a bunch!
Maureen

Lemontree

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2021 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome.

Paying for the course is what forced me to take action. But first I had to get some things in life in order (like finding a good job), which helped to put me in a better mindset to take the effort to study.

Weatherly6836

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2021 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your sharing Lemontree. You have provide a reasonably-sounding way to learn the German language. Salome, Mark Weatherly
Mark Weatherly

Reen71b

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2022 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was perusing The Future of Mankind website when I came across a link for learning different languages called DuoLingo. It seems very simple for anyone intimidated by learning a different language such as myself. I'm quite surprised at how much I learned in a small amount of time on the 1st day! I really enjoy using this website to learn. I have other language sites on my list. I think this one is good start to learning the basics at least.
Maureen

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page