Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help   FIGU-Website FIGU-Website
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View FIGU-Shop FIGU-Shop

Meditation

Discussionboard of FIGU » The Spiritual Teaching » Meditation « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 06, 2004Der_beobachter23 02-06-04  02:39 pm
Archive through August 09, 2004Phaethonsfire23 08-09-04  05:25 pm
Archive through November 14, 2004Dplotmach23 11-14-04  04:11 pm
Archive through November 20, 2004Jay23 11-20-04  09:35 am
Archive through December 18, 2005Jacob23 12-18-05  07:04 am
Archive through January 21, 2006Kiril23 01-21-06  04:56 pm
Archive through July 11, 2006Tjames23 07-11-06  01:12 am
Archive through December 02, 2006Newinitiation23 12-02-06  01:42 am
Archive through March 07, 2007Peter_brodowski23 03-07-07  10:18 am
Archive through May 14, 2007Kiwiseeker23 05-14-07  10:21 pm
Archive through July 23, 2007Flap_dragon23 07-23-07  07:39 am
Archive through September 23, 2007Socrates23 09-23-07  08:51 am
Archive through January 09, 2008Scott23 01-09-08  02:05 am
Archive through April 27, 2008The_original_dave23 04-27-08  03:15 am
Archive through August 03, 2008Adysor23 08-03-08  01:59 pm
Archive through October 04, 2008Peter_brodowski23 10-04-08  11:44 am
Archive through February 07, 2009J_rod723 02-07-09  04:54 pm
Archive through March 06, 2009J_rod723 03-06-09  12:20 pm
Archive through September 15, 2009Psycloud23 09-15-09  08:13 pm
Archive through October 20, 2009Jakester23 10-20-09  11:20 am
Archive through November 03, 2009Sitkaa23 11-03-09  01:36 pm
Archive through November 10, 2009Edward23 11-10-09  04:56 am
Archive through November 24, 2009Thomas23 11-24-09  09:35 am
Archive through December 20, 2009Phi_spiral23 12-20-09  06:45 pm
Archive through March 04, 2010Gaiaguysnet23 03-04-10  02:52 pm
Archive through April 27, 2010Thomas23 04-27-10  12:47 pm
Archive through July 23, 2010Ramirez23 07-23-10  10:16 pm
Archive through October 05, 2010Bianca23 10-05-10  05:46 am
Archive through January 26, 2011Sitkaa23 01-26-11  10:49 am
Archive through June 05, 2011Johnnybalmain23 06-05-11  05:24 pm
Archive through June 12, 2011Jacob23 06-12-11  04:21 pm
Archive through September 18, 2011Eddieamartin23 09-18-11  06:59 pm
Archive through December 07, 2011Nuetralperson23 12-07-11  04:23 pm
Archive through December 15, 2011Nuetralperson23 12-15-11  08:44 pm
Archive through May 06, 2012Patm23 05-06-12  11:33 am
Archive through September 02, 2012Markcampbell23 09-02-12  11:04 pm
Archive through March 05, 2013Adityasonakia23 03-05-13  07:55 am
Archive through June 15, 2013Ferbon23 06-15-13  10:21 am
Archive through October 17, 2013Riko23 10-17-13  12:57 am
Archive through May 27, 2014Votan23 05-27-14  01:50 am
Archive through May 30, 2014Votan23 05-30-14  04:58 pm
Archive through June 11, 2014Michael_horn23 06-11-14  08:25 am
Archive through August 23, 2014Adamjhs23 08-23-14  03:47 pm
Archive through March 02, 2015Doogsnova23 03-02-15  10:14 pm
Archive through April 22, 2015Billwilson1223 04-22-15  07:52 pm
Archive through April 25, 2015Billwilson1223 04-25-15  01:35 pm
Archive through July 27, 2015Michael_horn23 07-27-15  04:52 pm
Archive through October 13, 2015Billwilson1223 10-13-15  01:07 pm
Archive through March 26, 2016Stefan_z223 03-26-16  10:56 pm
Archive through June 10, 2016Adamjhs23 06-10-16  10:18 am
Archive through October 05, 2016Stardustwilly23 10-05-16  07:33 am
Archive through August 21, 2018Niko_sulonen23 08-21-18  02:29 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Discussions on Meditation and its various forms such as Pentra, OM, Death Meditations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page

Abidenshcemilia

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello

Berto

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys,

Thank you Scott and Niko_sulonen, you have given me much to think about and study into. Below are some thoughts I've had about meditation since looking into your suggestions.

The intro to the Meditation explanation I find very interesting as the colours which occur during the meditation contemplation very closely mirrors the (Electromagnetic) spectrum of visible light with their corresponding wavelengths and frequencies which almost exactly follows the order of the colours listed in the meditation book as blue, green, yellow to red but omits orange which in the visible (Electromagnetic) spectrum goes from blue, green yellow, orange and then red. I rewrote this sequence below for clarity and comparison.

Eduard's Explanation in his Book on Meditation - Blue,Green,Yellow,Red

(Electromagnetic) Visible Light Spectrum - Blue,Green,Yellow,Orange,Red

I'm thinking that since our consciousness emits and radiates essentially electromagnetic waves (swinging waves) and has their effects fulfilled, then perhaps this is why the colours shall be seen in the meditation when certain levels of consciousness have been reached on account of the consciousness emitting different and finer energies/powers (wavelengths and frequencies) which register as visual cues or colours which of course correspond to specific wavelengths and frequencies on account of the different and finer levels of consciousness achieved which is similar to how the visible spectrum functions as well; if the wavelength with its corresponding frequency is changed, an affected colour will result. Furthermore, the visible light spectrum has blue and red at opposite ends going from coarse to fine and vice-versa with regards to their specific wavelengths and frequencies which one can relate and compare to the ascending and descending colours and therefore levels of consciousness outlined in the meditation book.

I was also very interested in what Niko_sulonen had to say and did some reading on the phenoma he had suggested I was experiencing. I retrieved some information on Wikipedia on what it has to say about the following phenomena he mentioned as well as other similar phenomena for anyone else who may interested in finding out more, stated here for convenience under which I'll give my thoughts where I felt inspired to.

Phosphene (A type of hypnagogic hallucination which results during the transitional state from wakefulness to sleep ) A phosphene is a phenomenon characterized by the experience of seeing light without light actually entering the eye. The word phosphene comes from the Greek words phos (light) and phainein (to show).

My thoughts - According to this definition of phosphenes this leads me to think that it is not phosphenes I experience in meditation as I am fully awake and therefore not sleepy or nodding off during my excercise but I cannot completely rule it out of the realm of possibility as the consciousness in the meditation might have similar characteristics and properties akin to the transition from wakefulness to sleep on account of the similar activity or lack of activity of the consciousness itself whichever is inducive to the experience of these phosphenes.

The second statement is a little unclear as this implies that phosphenes can only really occur in complete darkness but as I stated earlier there is a small source of light in my meditation area and also I have had my experience with the blue shimmering light during meditation in daylight hours a few times in a completely lit up room as well although I now only practice in the evening.

2.Phosphenes can be directly induced by mechanical, electrical, or magnetic stimulation of the retina or visual cortex as well as by random firing of cells in the visual system.

My thoughts - Since the activity of the consciousness changes during the meditation, I don't feel it's too far of a stretch to say that also the electromagnetic swinging waves and their frequencies will have a direct affect on the activity and chemistry of the brain itself which in turn affects the bodily functions so as far as the visual cortex is concerned, this part of the brain should also be affected through the changing consciousness in the meditation and therefore the changing wavelengths and frequencies of the swinging waves would stimulate the visual cortex to release their visual cues and be registered as colour which in turn would reflect the specific types of swinging waves and altered consciousness state of the meditator.

3.Phosphenes have also been reported by meditators (commonly called nimitta), people who go for long periods without visual stimulation (also known as the prisoner's cinema), or those who are using psychedelic drugs.

My thoughts - I looked into this further and retrieved further information from Wikipedia on the topic of Dhyana (meditation) in Buddhism covering the topic of nimitta and how it could relate to specific experiences during the meditation practice such as the shimmering blue light. In Buddhism, Dhyana (Sanskrit) or Jhana (Pali) is a series of cultivated states of mind, which lead to a "state of perfect equanimity and awareness (upekkhii-sati-piirisuddhl)." It is commonly translated as meditation, and is also used in Hinduism and Jainism. Dhyana may have been the core practice of pre-sectarian Buddhism, but became appended with other forms of meditation throughout its development.

According to the Pali canon commentary, access/neighbourhood concentration (upacara-samadhi) is a stage of meditation that the meditator reaches before entering into jhana. The overcoming of the five hindrances mark the entry into access concentration. According to Tse-fu Kuan, at the state of access concentration, some meditators may experience vivid mental imagery,which is similar to a vivid dream. They are as vivid as if seen by the eye, but in this case the meditator is fully aware and conscious that they are seeing mental images. According to Tse-fu Kuan, this is discussed in the early texts, and expanded upon in Theravada commentaries.

According to Venerable Sujivo, as the concentration becomes stronger, the feelings of breathing and of having a physical body will completely disappear, leaving only pure awareness. At this stage inexperienced meditators may become afraid, thinking that they are going to die if they continue the concentration, because the feeling of breathing and the feeling of having a physical body has completely disappeared. They should not be so afraid and should continue their concentration in order to reach "full concentration" (jhana).

My thoughts continued - These explanations are essentially exactly in line with what I have experienced in my practice. I feel I'm on a good path to progressing. According to these Dhyana explanations, it leads me to speculate that the stage I reach with the experiencing of the shimmering blue light would be described as the so-called access/neighbourhood concentration (upacara-samadhi) which is explained as the stage of meditation reached before entering into jhāna or "full concentration" or "true concentration". Perhaps once this full or true concentration is reached this will be the entering into and experiencing of the green colour realm of the meditation contemplation outlined in Eduard's book on the subject? This seems a reasonable speculation.

4.The most common phosphenes are pressure phosphenes, caused by rubbing or applying pressure on or near the closed eyes.

My thoughts - This does not apply to me as I do not vigorously rub my eyes or the areas around my eyes before, during or after my meditation excercise.

5.Phosphenes have also been created by electrical stimulation of the brain, reported by neurologist Otfrid Foerster as early as 1929. Brindley and Lewin (1968) inserted a matrix of stimulating electrodes directly into the visual cortex of a 52-year-old blind female, using small pulses of electricity to create phosphenes. These phosphenes were points, spots, and bars of colorless or colored light. Brindley and Rushton (1974) used the phosphenes to create a visual prosthesis, in this case by using the phosphenes to depict Braille spots. (Amazing)

6.Phosphenes have also been created by intense, changing magnetic fields (Electromagnetic swinging waves?) . These fields can be positioned on different parts of the head to stimulate cells in different parts of the visual system. Phosphenes created by magnetic fields are known as magnetophosphenes.

7.Most vision researchers believe that phosphenes result from the normal activity of the visual system after stimulation of one of its parts from some stimulus other than light. (Consciousness related energies/powers released/created in meditation)

8.The prisoner's cinema is a phenomenon reported by prisoners confined to dark cells and by others kept in darkness, voluntarily or not, for long periods of time. It has also been reported by truck drivers, pilots, and practitioners of intense meditation. Astronauts and other individuals who have been exposed to certain types of radiation have reported witnessing similar phenomena.

9. A form constant is one of several geometric patterns which are recurringly observed during hallucinations and altered states of consciousness.

My thoughts - I feel that since we can see the logic, order, comprehensiveness and interconnectedness of the life as a whole in nature and that all this is represented and shown with clarity in all creations from the largest to the smallest such as in the snowflake, atomic and chemical composition, the human body and formation of cellular structures or the orbital patterns of solar systems and their planets for example, this can be thought of as a signature of the life creation itself, enlivening each of its creations with itself which we can recognise just as a painter puts all of himself/herself into their painting and if one is inquisitive enough, can get to know and understand the painter and their inner processes of thinking and feeling and what they wish to communicate with their creations. Since we can see this order, logic and interconnectedess in nature which is something like a visual representation of these qualities and that life is not just randomness and thrown together unconcernedly, it seems reasonable to think that this is where we get these qualities being expressed as geometric patterns and shapes of which we can also see and experience in the consciousness during meditation as the consciousness is also not just simply randomness and thrown together either.

If you'd read all the way through, then thanks very much,I tried to keep it as short as possible and also thank you in advance to any more input from other individuals, everyone's thoughts and input are highly appreciated and welcomed. Lastly, I wrote a funny little story, kind of like a parable about meditation while working out these thoughts on this topic for everyone's amusement.

The fisherman throws his line with bait into the water and skillfully lures the bait through the waves and patiently waits for the fish to bite and get hooked. He cannot force the fish to bite and must accept what is given to him and not what he wishes for and must not make too much noise and make ripples in the water lest he scares the fish away and he must not think about other things but must concentrate lest the fish takes his bait and escapes. Lastly, he must remember that he must catch the smaller fish before he has the skill and knowledge to catch the larger ones.

Niko_sulonen

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Berto,

Thank you for your in-depth analysis and article concerning the hypnagogic hallucinations and how they would refer to your experiences. I find the topic quite fascinating and I have studied it some amount, especially relating to using the hypnagogic hallucinations or the phosphenes phenomenom as a way to consciously induce lucid dreaming in order to directly tap into the subconsciousness while in a conscious-dream-state. I've had some success in that area but it does require well developed concentration-powers to bring the dream-states under conscious control. Meditation helps in that area immensely and inducing lucid dreams is also in and of itself a form of meditation. I think one would benefit greatly had they the ability to observe and interact with their subconscious world during sleep.

Salome,
Niko
I recognize my path, which is the truth and living in accordance with it. I carry out my mission for life and for the fulfillment of life. I abide by the creational laws and recommendations, which reign in me as true love and wisdom.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page