Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help   FIGU-Website FIGU-Website
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View FIGU-Shop FIGU-Shop

Archive through September 02, 2005

Discussionboard of FIGU » The Planet Earth » Aging, Aggressive Genes & Human Health » Archive through September 02, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page

Edward
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 03:06 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All...

"Hermaphrodite" a both gender species.

This subject was discussed earlier in previous postings...but not in details.

Below are some interesting excerpts:

A Hermaphrodite is an animal which possess reproductive organs of both sexes. In Rare cases this manifests in a human being.

An animal or plant or human having both male and female reproductive organs. Named for Hermaphroditos, the son of Hermes and Aphrodite, according to mythology, whose body became joined with that of a nymph.

Hermaphrodite, son of Venus & Hermes was walking in the forest and fell in love with a naiad (nymph). While making love passionately, they became one entity.

A true hermaphrodite is an individual who has a combination of genetic material that is both female and male. The condition is extremely rare, found in nature in about one in every 25,000 deliveries, according to Dr. Dorothy Mitchell-Leef of Reproductive Biology Associates.

More info of a fertility mistake which created an accidental Hermaphrodite! Could this be the beginning to Conscious enginering!?
Many great results have been discovered by accident.:

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9801/14/fertility.mistake/

Edward.

Claes

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GE in NEw Zealand.
Right now there is a lot of resistance towards Genetic Engineering because the government is about to allow more GE products etc in to NZ.
It is a popular new age beliefe here that GE is against nature.
I agree with FIGU that GE is necessary in medical science to fight deseases and medical conditions.

What I would like to know from you all is how does GE affect food products and seeds. Is there any danger at all for our health to eat GE foods?

Alot of people claim that GE seeds have been made infertile so that we become more dependant on Seedcompanys and they can make more money.
I wonder if this is true and to what extent.

I feel that GE foods would not make our foods any worse. I think the food additives, colorings, preservatives is much worse.

Any comments appreciated and especially if they are backed up with references to Figu texts.

Thankyou,
Claes

Edward

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Claes....

Here is some very interesting information concerning Genetic Processings.

249th Contact

A talk between Ptaah, an IHWH from the Pleiades/Plejaren, and 'Billy' Eduard
A. Meier, Switzerland, Monday, June 13th, 1994, 11:36 p.m.

Billy: But how can this be reconciled with the technological and medical
progress human beings are making? I am speaking here of genetic technology,
for instance, as well as genetic therapy, genetic medicine, genetic
adjustments and genetic manipulations and so forth. As part of this progress,
I would include also the creation of a bionic man, clones and human-genetic
modifications, even though many of these items are still in their early
stages of development.

Ptaah: An immutable law states that progress cannot be stopped regardless of
all the degeneration and destruction. At some point along the way, stagnation
will occur; but progress will continue until that time and then taper off
very slowly.
Against progress is only appropriate when there are actions against
Creational laws through genetic manipulations, as is the case when life is
destroyed or propelled toward degeneration in behavior, actions or living.
Genetic technology makes possible freedom from suffering and illness. It also
brings innumerable advantages, relief and an immeasurable progress that is
capable of preventing any further increase in overpopulation. It causes much
suffering and misery to disappear as long as this development is accorded the
required space and necessary understanding.

Ptaah speaks further down...

In my opinion, and judging from everything I have learned from you people,
the entire development related to genetic sciences, gene manipulation,
genetic modifications, genetic interference, genetic transformations, genetic
medicine, gene technology as a whole, cannot be stopped. After all, it is an
inevitable result of evolution. Therefore, the whole genetic technology will
make its breakthrough in spite of some opposition. In fact, for the time
being, breakthroughs won't be repressed in any sector of life, even though,
some day, it may come into play.
Likewise, genetic modifications will be performed on animals, plants, food
items, medicine and so forth. This development truly cannot be repressed,
although many sectarians, pseudo-humanists, pseudo-seers and -thinkers
continue to rebel against it today, as they stupidly holler against this
progress and invent laws to prohibit it. Such laws are wrong even today, and
individuals who fight for them are acting irresponsibly.

And from.."QUESTIONS FROM OUR READERS"...to Billy.

Question 2. What do the Pleiadians, respectively Plejarans, and you think of
genetic engineering?

Genetic technology, i.e., gene engineering and manipulation, is an
inevitable, unstoppable development process that exists among every highly
evolved civilization throughout the entire universe. Hence, even
terrestrial humans cannot avoid implementing genetic engineering and
manipulation.

Further down...

The mere fact that plants can be altered to the point where they become more
prolific and resistant to diseases, should be reason enough to look
favorably upon genetic engineering, for it can positively influence and
remedy much of this planet's hunger, poverty, and misery. Of course, medical
implications must also be taken into account, which are so critical for human
survival, such as those involving transplants and medications, to mention but
two.

And further...

The investigation of any new technology will inevitably precipitate mistakes,
however; but from mistakes additional studies, research and aguarantee of
further progress will ensue. Understandably, occasional harm may result from
mistakes in the exploration and development of terrestrial genetic technology
since it currently is still in its infancy. But possible failures should not
be taken as a bad omen and a reason for distorting all of this research and
for stomping it into the ground. Inevitably, development will result in
errors and maybe even harm. And yet, researchers would be ill advised to give
up on their projects. It is vital that the research now in progress continues
and that steps be taken to alleviate as many mistakes as possible.

Genetic technology is a vital facet of our development, essential for our
evolution, and cannot be circumvented in the long run, even by terrestrials.
In other words, it is much more constructive for us to rationally support the
appropriate genetic scientific experts than it is to boycott them. Anyone
boycotting them impedes not only human evolution, but takes on the
responsibility for a great deal of suffering, poverty, and misery that may
befall humans, animals and all nature on Earth. To have a hostile attitude
toward genetic technology is to commit an irresponsible and criminal
transgression against terrestrial humankind and the entire planet, including
its floral and faunal life forms.

Edward.

Kaare

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Claes and Edward,
It’s a very hot topic Claes, where it would help if one were both a farmer and scientist to
make a proper judgement of all the pros and cons articles, and Edward thanks for listing the very interesting FIGU information about this.
Already 70 pct of all American foodstuff contain ingredients with altered DNA, and the
official US version is that GM food is safe.
The other camp - those against it – claim that released into the environment and the food chain, they will reproduce, and it will be virtually impossible to control them, or recall them. And claim that impact can not be known on forms of life such as soil micro-organisms, insects, birds and such.
This is the basis on which the EU has placed a ban on GM food, and presently prohibit its widespread use in their farms. They have put in place the precautionary principle of making GM food "guilty until proven innocent" – focusing on the danger if there was to be a health or environmental impact.
There does not seem to be much evidence to point to that GM food is unsafe to eat, other than People have suffered allergies after eating strands of GM corn, and GM crops have harmed the monarch butterfly.
GM seeds are not owned by the farmers but by the biotech companies that make them. Farmers who use GM seeds or crops do not own them but have to pay royalties to these companies, or buy new seeds every harvest season.
Much more can be said about this – but more important is to find the real issues why we need GM food and more research into it..
Perhaps one issue is to look at is the way modern farming is done today. Crop yields are more than doubled by the use of fertilizer and pesticides, derived from products such as oil and gas – which again are non renewable commodities, and will one day go into decline. Also phosphate is a declining commodity.
And of course there are the issues with pollution and contamination attached to this kind of farming.
Question here is how long this kind of farming can be sustained giving proper yields .
And this is where GM comes inn - as GM seeds increase crop yields, save money on expensive pesticides, and reduce the need for fertilizer. Exactly the remedy needed.
Although gains may be limited at this stage in time, and issues around GM needs to be addressed and solved, this should not stop it. For instance the first car produced was still driven because it was better than the horse and wagon it replaced. But we would today call it primitive - and also unsafe because it lacked seat belts. But this is how evolution works. Same can be said about the first computer. which was primitive, but still better than the typewriter it replaced. Today we are still at improving both the car and the computer.
I think this is how to look at GM food as well. It has to be put in place, and then improved as we go along, and who knows where this will be at in 100 or even a 1000 years from now.
The Plejarans have had a very long time span to perfect their technology in this area, and have achieved fantastic results in the way they for instance have been able to crossbreed, inside enormous hothouses, apple trees of 120 m height giving apples weighing 30-40 kg (for industrial production) But which still tasting as normal apples.

Kaare

Scott

Post Number: 423
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

There has been some recent information regarding certain mental health conditions and the discovery of a malfunctioning gene within certain persons DNA. Here is a brief excerpt from the article:

Analysis of DNA samples from patients with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and related illnesses suggests that these neuropsychiatric disorders affecting mood and behavior are associated with an uncommon mutant, malfunctioning gene that leads to faulty transporter function and regulation. Norio Ozaki, M.D., Ph.D., and colleagues in the collaborative study explain their findings in the October 23 Molecular Psychiatry.

Researchers funded by the National Institutes of Health have found a mutation in the human serotonin transporter gene, hSERT, in unrelated families with OCD. A second variant in the same gene of some patients with this mutation suggests a genetic "double hit," resulting in greater biochemical effects and more severe symptoms. Among the 10 leading causes of disability worldwide, OCD is a mental illness characterized by repetitive unwanted thoughts and behaviors that impair daily life.

Could this be the result of some type of genetic alteration or engineering which was done to the human DNA many years ago?

Salome
Scott

Markc

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Scott ;

How interesting . I don't really think so . Unwanted thoughts are easy enough to weed out if you have confidence in your ability to do so . Thinking that you have a gene that will return the thought without being wanted is a thought in itself , and one that can interfere with the mind's self-editing ability .

Analogy : If you couldn't swim in saltwater for health reasons , and you live at the beach , it would remind you every day of your limitation . If you moved away from the beach , the reoccurring thought would naturally not be instigated by vision and the smell and sound of the sea .

This is just my opinion at a glance . Of course it very well could be genetically based for some people .maybe the basic genetic manipulation allows for further mutations and varuations of the genetic characteristics to alter along thought and habit lines .

Salome ,Mark

Claes

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankyou Edward and Kaare, That was very helpful.
Edward,
The second text you quoted "QUESTIONS FROM OUR READERS" is that one available on the net or do I have to buy it from FIGU Switzerland or FIGU USA?

Kaare, thankyou for your opinions, I agree totally. I recently wrote a mail and sent it to a few people here in NZ after beeing inspired by the 249th contact. Here in NZ there seems to be a lot of out of proportion propaganda against all GE and I felt I had to give them the other viewpoint about what GE can be good for.

I sent out the following:
"""""""""""""""""""""""""
15 Oct 03
Dear fellow Human Beeings,

I would like to share my thoughts and conclusions concerning GE with you.

GE as a whole is not against nature.
The human speices originally developed out of dead
animal tissues and plants(aminoacids etc) through
chemical processes over millions of years.

Of course GE (like any other discoveries etc) can be
used wisely or be abused to gain power.
GE can be used to create better vaccines, medicines and to cure
diseases and genetic disorders in the human body.
Also to improve nutrition and taste of healthy foods.
This is not fantasy but is really possible.
We can in the future use GE to help feed the starving masses of the
world and perhaps to create food that can grow in dry
desertlike conditions.

Just like the people 100 hundered years ago would
never have believed that the technology we have today
would some day be possible, the same is true of what
will happen in the future.
What we imagine today and some of what we see in
Science fiction will be possible in the future.

I think we should be fighting against the use of
pesticides, foodadditives, colorings etc which in my
opinion is much more of a worry than GE.

Fighting against the whole GE field is fighting
against progress and evolution. I agree that there
should be strict regulations for its use so that it is
not used for greedy purposes but only for improvement
which is good for humankind.

Fighting against the whole field of GE will delay the positive medical and
nutritional improvements of foods. This resistance will lead to further suffering
for the people that could benefit from genetically correcting disorders in the body etc.

We should fighting against any abuse of anything,
abuse of GE just like the abuse of drugs, as well as
the abuse of power and money.

Avocado is a Genetically Engineered Vegetable that
used to be fed to pigs before it was altered for human
consumption.

Please consider these things before you go out and
fight against some thing that can be very beneficial
to humankind.
We need control and logical regulations of GE,
NOT banishment.

If you wish to know my sources please contact me by
Email.

Thankyou for your time,

Salome (Peace),
Claes Elmberg
""""""""""""""

Most people were against my opinion and I would like to attach the response of an aquaintance who is a fairly influential person in the spiritual circles in my area.
""""""""""""""""""
.........Genetic research will help us better understand ourselves and our planet ifresponsibly undertaken. However - this is not the case. In the US if agenetically modified organism is considered "sustantially equivalent" to theoriginal the FDA do no testing - none at all !( Source the FDA) -this isdespite a virus being introduced into the original organism to allow the newgene that would under normal circumctstances be rejected, to attach.Aberdeen University are concerned by a growing number of cases of stomachand colon cancers caused by the cauliflower mosaic virus which is the samevirus commomly used in GE - they cannot possibly say at this stage if thereis a direct link but there is cause for concern - it needs to be more fullyinvestigated.The whole GE thing is driven by Monsanto and a handful of other companieswho stand to make a lot of money out of GE.Monsanto can't patent plants - they occur naturally - but if they modifythem in some way and somehow persuade the public the GE version is betterthey can. If they then stop the plant from producing it's own seed - usingthe terminator gene - and this exists you can read about it on manywebsites - the farmer then has to go back to M. each time and they cancharge what they want. IN the US some farmers have been very upset - theirneighbour has used , say GEmaize, it has cross polinated theirs and theirsthen didn't produce seed.Agrentina has suffered a long list of advers side effects and so has Canada.One of the things M. are very keen on doing is making the crop resistant toweedkiller- in particular Roundup, their weedkiller- - so they sell moreRoundup - the farmer can then spread it liberally on the crop so we getmore in our food - not less as some GE proponents suggest.Scientists from around the world are voicing their fears about a number ofdifferent possible side effects - they may not manifest of they may it istoo early to say - but if we allow untested GE into our environment we aregambling with our food chain - the stakes are just too high - GE is in it'sinfancy and a handful of US companies are driving it to make vast profits. Check out the following websites for specifics...Physicians and Scientists for Responsible Genetics www.psrg.org.nzMothers against Genetic Engineering www.madge.net.nzGE-Free New Zealand www.gefree.org.nzGreen Party of Aotearoa/New Zealand www.greens.org.nzGreenpeace www.greenpeace.org.nzNorfolk Genetic Information Network ngin.tripod.comInstitute of Science in Society www.i-sis.org.ukThe US is now so far down the GE track it cannot turn back and I feel thisis why they are applying so much pressure on the rest of the world
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I agree with her that it is probable that Monsanto and other big companies are in it only for the money and to get more monopoly on the markets. But perhaps this a small price to pay in the long run with new diseases mutating and threatening the lives of many in the near future. And without genetic research many people may die who could have been cured by GE medicines etc.
I think it is those companies that need to be fought against not the GE field as awhole.
And even if the anti GE groups claim to want to keep it in the lab it seems to me that most anti GE people are against all of GE, they are not even considering the possible benefits.

I'm not sure about the rest of the info in her post if it is accurate or not.

What are your opinions?
How much truth do you think there is in the info in her response?

As I am convinced that most of the info from the plejarans is correct and neutral, I trust the plejaran science before I trust any of the earthscience and our corrupt media.

The plejarans are not just considering the effects into the next generation but they provide advice that will benefit mankind far in to the distant future.

Salome,
Claes

Edward

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Claes...

Yes, I would Truely Agree with you: "I think it is those companies that
need to be fought against not the GE field as awhole.
And even if the anti GE groups claim to want to keep it in the lab it
seems to me that most anti GE people are against all of GE, they are not
even considering the possible benefits."

Surely there Are/Is Always companies trying to make a "Fast Buck or Two"!
Which is ofcourse Inevitable at this stage of the GE science(as Is the
case with many things).

Very True...in most cases the Anti-groeps are just Not Well Informed or
Well Up-dated concerning the Sciences of this All and It's "Beauty Mistakes"
...as we would say here(that can/may occur - which Is a Natural Manifestation).

Man Should Look at this all...from All Sides. And Not be One-Sided.
And Think..."Balanced"....and Not Left or Right...nor Up or Down(and put
Aside - False Pride - ). Thus, come to "Compromise" of it's "Logic(s)".
Thus when it comes down to the Point; We can All Benefit from this All, thus
ofcourse; Both sides mean Well..with their Approches. And from Mistakes...
We Learn...Not?
We All...Strive for "Perfection".

The excerpt is from:

From FIGU-Bulletin 10
Published Periodically Vol. 3 No. 1.
German printing: Feb. 1997
English printing: Jul. 1998

See: http://www.figu.org/us/figu/bulletin/no10.htm

Just scroll-down to "QUESTIONS FROM OUR READERS" to question nr.2
'What do the Pleiadians, respectively Plejarans, and you think of
genetic engineering? '

Edward.

Claes

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankyou Edward,
Bulletin 10 is very good about this subject and also about soildegradation, selfsufficiency and the recommended ammount of people living per Hectar which I find very interesting.
Excellent,
Salome,
Claes

Gicayhwh

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Scott,

I agree with you a lot, regarding the so many of our fellow earth humans with mental problems.
They need a babysitter.
On our point of knowing, however, we need more, way more, plejaran knowledge.

Scott, I strongly agree that the few of us that share our thouths on this forum, are lucky to see the light.
I see a lot of wisdom into your posts. I learn from everything, including this nice forum.
Thank you,

Saalome,
Gica

Scott

Post Number: 431
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gica,

Thank you for the kind words.

Salome
Scott

Jeedi

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jay,

Just wanted to touch base about a comment you made in your last post on the Religion string, “Take into consideration it has been ages of manipulation of DNA with original Human forms here on earth which has caused the worship and control of all human species on this planet.”

I would say genetic manipulations are a factor, but not the total cause of worship and control. Use your mouse to scroll up a little on this forum page to a post made by Markc back in October. I think he makes an excellent statement, “Unwanted thoughts are easy enough to weed out if you have confidence in your ability to do so . Thinking that you have a gene that will return the thought without being wanted…interfere(s) with the mind's self-editing ability .”

Here is a statement by P’taah from the 251st contact, “As a result of these genetic manipulations, and from earliest times, Man has fought these inner conflicts of good and evil --- where evil frequently is the winner. Nonetheless, increasing numbers of humans combat their way to goodness by conquering the damage done by the genetic manipulation.”

Sure science can lend a hand in correcting genetic flaws, but I would agree with Markc that this could also be corrected with the mind (spiritual experiences).

Best regards,
Anthony

Jay

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeedi,

You picked up on this detail I overlooked even in from THE CONTACT NOTES, this is correct. DNA manipullation will be weeded out but the spirit-form which is being controlled by this FINE MATTER energy - DNA will eventually and hopefully be wiped out. This stands the reason why The PLEJARANS make it clear that we need to intermix these tendencies amongst ourselves in order to make the vanishing nagative structure of this DNA disappear.
Saalome and BE WELL to ALL :-)

Howard

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a abstract of an article I found on a website concerning aging in general. Alot of interesting information!
http://todaysseniorsnetwork.com/aging_causes.htm

I dont know when this article was written, but if the 251 contact is right, maybe it is written in 2003-04. The contactnotes says preparations for locating the aging-gene in humans started already in -94, if I havent misunderstood, and might be a direct effect because of the findings.

"Kenyon made international news 10 years ago when her laboratory showed that modifying a single gene in C. elegans doubled the worm's healthy life-span. The gene, known as daf-2, encodes a receptor for insulin as well as for a hormone called insulin-like growth factor. The same or related pathways have since been shown to affect longevity in fruit flies and mice and are likely to control life-span in humans as well".

Scott

Post Number: 458
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Howard,
That is very interesting

Salome
Scott

Tjames

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

As a person with natural interest in the sciences and even more so since the learning of certain technological possibilities for humans concerning positive manipulation of our genetic structure and certain genes triggering a desired effect, I have come across some startling news regarding Molecular Biologist's/Genetic Biologist's.

Through-out the past several years as well as many others I am sure, a pattern of conspicuous events can be recognized to determine and or suggest that many Scientist's in this particular field have mysteriously been found dead, implying suicide. When the truth of the matter may suggest homicide. Many Biologist's across the world but especially the U.S. have yeilded so called "suicide" and "homicide" cases in this conspicuous manner. This seemingly operation to rid the field of their "cream of the crop" so to speak, may imply Government murder on a large scale effort. Possibly, this could be carried out by the Secret New World Order /powers that be. As speculative as this information may sound, I sense it deserves attention. I heard about this material through Mysteries of the mind and Coast to Coast radio.
If anyone knows about this topic, I would greatly appreciate feedback.
Salome
Tim

Scott

Post Number: 598
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

Within the human ear there is a small organ known as the Cochlea. Within this Cochlea there are thousands of hair cells, which are responsible for detecting sound vibrations and then in turn sends nerve impulses through the auditory nerve to the brain. The hair cells within the Cochlea are incapable of reproduction, so once they are damaged through possible infection, loud noise old age or other factors, they become incapable of performing their task. The result of this results in loss of hearing, and other possible maladies such as tinnitus and Hyperacusis.

Recently researchers have discovered a Gene, which releases a protein, which inhibits the regeneration of the hair cells within the Cochlea.

Here is an excerpt from that article:

"Hair cells in the cochlea detect sound by vibrating in response to sound waves, triggering nerve impulses that travel to the auditory region of the brain. Normally, humans are born with a complement of about 50,000 hair cells. But since the cells do not regenerate, the steady rate of hair-cell loss that can accompany aging produces significant hearing loss in about a third of the population by the time they reach 70-years-old.

Chen did a broad survey that examined patterns of gene expression during embryonic development of the balance organ of the inner ear. His results suggested that there might be a gene that produces a protein that acts as a permanent "brake" on hair-cell regeneration. That survey, which was done in mice, revealed that the retinoblastoma gene seemed to be particularly active during embryonic development."

So it seems with the discovery of this gene and further research, there may be a way turn around some of the hearing difficulties experienced by many people. I’m not sure whether the discovery of this Gene, and how it behaves, was the result of distant genetic engineering, but either way the results appear to be quite positive.

Regards
Scott

Tjames

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Science & Space
Scientists clone stem cells genetically matched to patients

Thursday, May 19, 2005 Posted: 3:20 PM EDT (1920 GMT)

story.stem.cell.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) -- South Korean scientists have created the world's first human embryonic stem cells that are customized to injured or sick patients, a major step in the quest to grow patients' own replacement tissue to treat diseases.

These same scientists last year became the first to clone a human embryo, sparking international clamor. But those cloned stem cells -- the building blocks that give rise to every tissue in the body -- were a genetic match to a healthy woman, not a sick person. And it wasn't easy: It took 242 donated human eggs to grow just one batch.

Now the Seoul scientists have cloned patient-specific stem cells, important if doctors are to develop cell-based therapies that won't be rejected by the body's immune system. The technique worked with males and females, as young as 2 and as old as 56 -- all suffering either spinal cord injuries, diabetes or a genetic immune disease, the researchers report in Friday's edition of the journal "Science."

And the Korean lab found faster and safer ways to cull stem cells, using far fewer donated eggs -- about 20 per try.

They also eliminated use of mouse "feeder cells" that have been used to nourish most human stem-cell lines, thus easing concerns about contamination.

Any therapy is still years away from being tested in people.

"Therapeutic cloning has tremendous, tremendous healing potential, but we have to open so many doors before human trials," lead researcher Hwang Woo-suk of Seoul National University said in a telephone interview. "Our work reveals the possibility that this technology could be applied in the patient himself in the future."

Tjames

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone,

In Tokyo a subsidiary of Honda has developed new gene technologies for increasing rice yields.

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/c050623.html

Salome,
Tim

Tjames

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scientists probe anti-ageing gene
By Roland Pease
BBC Science Correspondent

Klotho seems to delay the effects of old age in mice
Scientists in the United States have discovered a gene that can keep mice alive for 30% longer than normal.

They say the gene has a key role to play in many of the processes related to ageing.

Because humans have a very similar version of the gene, the hope is that it will show a way to improve our declining years.

The gene studied in the new research is called Klotho, named after a minor Greek goddess who spins life's thread.

The gene certainly seems to do that. Mice - and people - with defective forms of the gene appear to age prematurely.

Now researchers have shown that by boosting the activity of the gene, they can extend the natural lives of male mice from two to three years.

The effect is not quite so strong in female mice.

Downsides

"It could be one of the significant steps for developing anti-ageing therapy," Dr Makoto Kuro-o, assistant professor of pathology at the University of Texas' Southwestern Medical Center and senior author of the study, told Science magazine.

Klotho seems to delay many of the effects of old age, like the weakening of bones, clogging of the arteries and loss of muscle fitness.

This is important for those researching the causes of ageing, whose intention is not so much to prolong life as to improve the quality of our final years.

But there may be downsides with Klotho. The long-lived mice in the new experiments tend to be less fertile.

And the gene may also predispose people to diabetes.

The trick for researchers will be to find ways of getting the life-enhancing results of Klotho while avoiding the drawbacks.

Dplotmach

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If feel relieved that the scientists have found of this about the aging-gene. Another prediction has been fulfilled. The problem is that, regardless that I told this to a friend of mine at the university, soon with a master-degree. I said that this I have been telling you for the last few years, and now it is finally confirmed. He called me an "Idiot" for that. He also mentioned that it was "immoral to mess with nature". I told him that I believe, WE have been messed with before. He rejected that harshly. Other people seems quite open for these new findings. But are ofcourse rather sceptical on my personal findings. What is it with this University-student kind of "superior-arrogance"? What can we possibly do with it? I've tried before presenting them to the Meier-case, but they reject it in every sense, and nearly laughs about it. They wont even look at it. I know we are not supposed to prosetylize(?), but it's impossible to just shut up about something as important and stunning like this information/case.

Memo00

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi

it is an important part in your personal evolution to accept everyone just as they are, instead of wasting your energy with those fools who think that they know better all than anyone else, use that energy for your own development and with persons who are intelligent enough and really open minded,

even if they are few, all over the world there are some wonderful persons who will become interested, and with whom we can share this wonderful treasure

forget about those arrogant persons cause like the old saying says:

"indeed the donkeys would prefer the straw before the gold"

Cpl

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Memo00 is right, Dplotmach. Not all university students are like that. I teach university, and I'm sure we could have some very interesting exchanges.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page