Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List FIGU-Website FIGU-Website
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View FIGU-Shop FIGU-Shop

Archive through March 07, 2010

Discussionboard of FIGU » General Area » Non-FIGU Related » Archived Topics » The Human Body » The Body » Archive through March 07, 2010 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page

Smukhuti

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 02:23 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Matt,

Microwave cooked food changes the nutrient value by forming large number of new molecules also known as radiolytic compounds. Any cooked food has such compounds, but microwave cooked food has the greatest. Too much radiolytic compounds found in food is not good for the stomach and for the colon. It has also been found that saturated fats produce most radiolytic compounds when cooked through microwave. So most of the fast food joints selling high fat food and using microwave are not safe.

Refer: http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html

As Dyson pointed out the metal would get heated and cook the food - but why not try this at home? See this - http://physics.suite101.com/article.cfm/why_no_metal_in_microwave_ovens
Salome.
Suv

Bianca

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am no expert but, when I once tried to heat food with metal components on the rim of a dish... sparks started flying around inside the microwave, and a small fire resulted. SO beware! As far as I understand food can be safely reheated in glass containers especially and covered with glass too, or in crockery that specifies that it is OK to be used in a m-w, otherwise all other containers IMO are not safe enough.

Matt

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dyson, Suv and Bianca,

Thanks a lot for that info!

So theres not much I can do there other then purchase some glassware, but is it better to use (for sure) then plastics and crockery?

J_rod7

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are dangers of several compounds and chemicals leaching into foods from plastics in the Microwave. Some are more insidious that others, some are hazardous in trace amounts. And "the jury-is-still-out" on others, especially in promotions from the plastics industry, which have obvious motives.

["mindfully.org note: The WSJ is correct in calling attention to microwaving plastics."]

[Does Plastic in Microwave Pose Health Problems?]

[ "Consumers should stay tuned. Other modern plastics are under scrutiny, including polyvinyl chloride, polycarbonate and plasticizers --chemicals that make plastics pliable and soft. In the microwave, some chemicals may migrate into food, especially fatty food cooked at high temperatures.

[ "Some plasticizers emit hormone-mimicking substances called endocrine disrupters, which are now being examined for potential links to birth defects, cancer or fertility problems

[ "The bottom line for consumers is: Not all plastic is alike, and not all name-brand plastic products are microwave-safe"]. ---> Source

---> http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Microwave-Health-Problems.htm

[ "Only use cookware that is specially manufactured for use in the microwave oven. Glass, ceramic containers, and all plastics should be labeled for microwave oven use."]

(I recommend to never use plastics in the microwave. I only use Glassware designed for Microwave use/Rod)

[ "For decades, the plastics industry has deceived us with assurances that the polymerization process binds the constituent chemicals together so perfectly that the resulting plastic is completely nontoxic and passes through us without a hitch. In spite of this industry disinformation,[9] the polymerization process is never 100% perfect. Logically then, there are always toxicants available for migration into the many things they contact — your food, air, water, skin, and so on. Both the FDA and the industry know this. However, because of many millions of dollars worth of advertising and public relations work, consumers are educated to think that plastics are safe.

[ "The additives utilized are not bound to the already imperfect plastic, leaving them quite free to migrate. One quick example: without a plasticizer additive, PVC would be rigid. The plasticizer resides between the molecules of the PVC, acting as a lubricant that allows those molecules to slide by each other, and thus flex. Many containers used for food or water are made of it. Even Barbie dolls are made of it. The plasticizer migrates out from day one. And as it ages, the migration can visibly weep out of it.[10]

[ "Plastics, their additives and other processing chemicals can be toxic at extremely low concentrations. In fact, some are significantly more toxic at extremely low concentrations than at much higher concentrations, which is contrary to the FDA scientist’s paradigm that, "The dose makes the poison," meaning that the higher the concentration, the more toxic something is. It is an interpretation of the writings of Paracelsus, an alchemist who wrote in the 16th century that, "Alle Ding sind Gift und nichts ohne Gift; alein die Dosis macht das ein Ding kein Gift ist" [All things are poison and nothing without poison; alone it is the dose that makes a thing no poison].[11] It’s now 500 years later and that assumption of Paracelsus is still the basis for the many regulations. Except on chemical-by-chemical investigations by various independent, institutional, and academic labs, plastics are not explored for harmful effects or regulated in any meaningful way."] --->Source:

--->http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Plasticizers/Out-Of-Diet-PG5nov03.htm

Eat Healthy to keep healthy

Peace

~~ TRUTH finds WISDOM finds LOVE finds PEACE -- Find What You Seek ~ Rod

Techieatwork

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI all.

Regarding microwaves, I avoid them as much as possible. I only have one old one in my garage, intended to go under surgery, because I need some of the internal parts.. to some experimentation.. those HV coils always come handy for many purposes.

But, at work, I just heated a nice meat pie
I used a large porcelain mug..
I forgot to place a porcelain plate on top..
It heats OK..
Porcelain is made to resist very high temperatures
and for u-waves (I don't have the Greek letter u, means micro), porcelain is like glass
Salome
Carlos
(Trying to keep it brief and concise)

Smukhuti

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it prudent to directly quote some findings listed under http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html for those of you not having the time to read the full article.

1. Increased number of radiolytic compounds.
2. Lymphocytes (white blood cells) also showed a more distinct short-term decrease following the intake of microwaved food than after the intake of all the other variants.
3. Another change was a decrease in the ratio of HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol) values.

Russia, experimented with microwave ovens and found out:
1. Heating prepared meats in a microwave sufficiently for human consumption created:
* d-Nitrosodiethanolamine (a well-known cancer-causing agent)
* Destabilization of active protein biomolecular compounds
* Creation of a binding effect to radioactivity in the atmosphere
* Creation of cancer-causing agents within protein-hydrosylate compounds in milk and cereal grains;
2. Microwave emissions also caused alteration in the catabolic (breakdown) behavior of glucoside - and galactoside - elements within frozen fruits when thawed in this way;
3. Microwaves altered catabolic behavior of plant-alkaloids when raw, cooked or frozen vegetables were exposed for even very short periods;
4. Cancer-causing free radicals were formed within certain trace-mineral molecular formations in plant substances, especially in raw root vegetables;
5. Ingestion of micro-waved foods caused a higher percentage of cancerous cells in blood;
6. Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions occurred in the lymphatic system, causing degeneration of the immune system=s capacity to protect itself against cancerous growth;
7. The unstable catabolism of micro-waved foods altered their elemental food substances, leading to disorders in the digestive system;
8. Those ingesting micro-waved foods showed a statistically higher incidence of stomach and intestinal cancers, plus a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues with a gradual breakdown of digestive and excretory system function;
9. Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritional value of all foods studied, particularly:
* A decrease in the bioavailability of B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotrophics
* Destruction of the nutritional value of nucleoproteins in meats
* Lowering of the metabolic activity of alkaloids, glucosides, galactosides and nitrilosides (all basic plant substances in fruits and vegetables)
* Marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.

As a result microwave ovens were banned in Russia in 1976; the ban was lifted after Perestroika.

Also, MICROWAVED PLASTIC WRAP HAS 10,000 TIMES FDA LIMITS OF CARCINOGENS!

NO microwave safe container offer all-round protection from the above effect. ONLY the microwave shielding effect of a tightly closed metal container (preferably spherical as they offer most surface area and heat up quickly while reflecting the microwave) can prevent these. Then again, you risk arking and fire! The choice is ours.
Salome.
Suv

Matt

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm scared to eat anything from a microwave now!

Smukhuti

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After I posted my above post #241, I went and had my microwave-warmed lunch.

Salome.
Suv

Markcampbell

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that I have so much of that flourocarbon in me that I have mutated into a saran-wrap based life-form .

Thomas

Post Number: 829
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 06:43 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About aging in the Earth human:

As Mark Campbell pointed out some time ago in a forum post, it is mentioned in Vol 10 of the contact blocks that there is one particular brain acid (called lekatron by the plejaren) that causes aging. They said that we will discover it eventually. In another contact that I don't recall the number of, there was a conversation between BEAM and Ptaah or Quetzal I believe in which it was mentioned that the free radicals which cause oxidation are the primary cause of premature aging here on Earth. It was mentioned, as I recall, that antioxidants can retard this process to a degree. What I am wondering is if this brain acid controls or influences the sweeping up or control of free radicals or other unwanted oxidation in the body. Has anyone run across any non FIGU info in regards to aging being definitely connected with free radicals or oxidation in the body (the unwanted forms of course) or being connected to brain chemistry?
patricksdadinfrance@yahoo.com

J_rod7

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Thomas,

I don't know about the brain-acid (or 'lekatron' as the Plejaren call it), but I do know the oxidation process and the antioxidants. I will say that these are two distinct and different processes.

The oxidation is a natural process of cellular energy extraction from the foods we eat. The byproducts from this process are water and CO2. This is part of the 'Krebs cycle' if you want to find more about it. The water eventually is excreted as either sweat or urine, and the CO2 is exchanged for more oxygen in the lungs. The problem here is that eventually, this process takes a toll on the cells and tissues, similar to rust. The excesses of Electrons in the transport system of the cells also attach to positively-charged molecules where they don't belong, reducing functionality and shortening the life where such 'rust' (free radicals) accumulates.

Antioxidants are just that, by introducing positive-polarized molecules into the system which 'soak-up' electron excess, thereby reducing the production of free-radicals. The body does also produce some enzymes which perform this function. These enzymes are produced in smaller and smaller amounts with increased age. After the mid 40s or so, these enzymes are not produced by the body in amounts adequate to control the build-up of the free radicals, especially with high intakes of sugars and alcohols (which give much energy, but are a huge burden on the system, with cumulative effects). This is the reason why more fruits are important in the diet, to provide the antioxidants the body needs. This is especially true for the citrus fruits, and all fruits of strong colors -- blueberries, cherries, dark red or black grapes, blackberries, etc. -- all rich sources of antioxidants from the bioflavonoids and assorted phytochemicals. Otherwise, it is a good idea to supplement the diet with Vit-C (with bioflavonoids), Vit-A (carotenes), resveratrol, and others. Sorry, but I can't give you any further advice, or it might be wrongly thought as "prescribing" by our mods.

Yo Mark,

Peace

Markcampbell

Post Number: 401
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rod ;

Good advice ; more fruit and commas .

Mark

Thomas

Post Number: 836
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jrod for the info. I wasn't looking for advice though, just info because I am a curious guy that way :-) Either way the info was appreciated!
patricksdadinfrance@yahoo.com

Kingman

Post Number: 778
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark,

More fruit, commas, and don't forget..................

____________no plastic in the Microsurf cooker!________________
a friend in america
Shawn

Kingman

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rod,

Thanks for that excellent reminder. Last month I was hoping to get my 'strong colored' fruit dose at Zhila's meditation gathering with her generous hospitality, except she caught the flu bug and I ended up at Michael's instead. I think he also missed the blackberries at Zhila's as well.

While Michael's was a last minute venue change, I did get to enjoy his most excellent English breakfast tea. He subsequently noticed my super sugar scoops I added, and helpfully described the consequences that a high daily intake of sweets can have on the body(pancreas). It had such a strong affect on me, that now I'm even afraid of things like those delicious little innocent twinkies. And jelly donuts too!

Say hi to Bunny!
a friend in america
Shawn

Gaiaguysnet

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Shawn!

You write, "I'm even afraid of things like those delicious little innocent twinkies."

Twinkies are even more dangerous than Grape Kool-aid! Particularly when microwaved!

"Twinkies are small, cylindrical fuel pellets consumed as food by an alarming number of American civilians. They taste rather like a skunk just farted in your mouth. Originally developed by Lockheed-Martin to replace napalm during the Vietnam War, but were deemed too inhumane and relegated to the bottom of a 4,000-foot mineshaft in South Dakota. In 1977, NASA discovered the Twinkies as it searched for remnants of a crashed meteorite, and immediately put them to use as solid fuel for the space shuttle's booster rockets. However, the inherent danger of the Twinkie was again revealed in the Challenger crash."

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Twinkies

Cheers!
Dyson

J_rod7

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dyson,
I have to wonder if twinkies could be used in 'rocket-fuel'?

Shawn, when there is a high intake of 'simple' carbohydrates, there is a commensurate need to increase of Chromium (picolinate) (in range of 200-mcg to 500-mcg) to enable the pancreas to properly convert the sugars.

If you need sweetness, consider Honey (a complex blend of sugars, without the impact of simple sugars).

Ya know, those things of 'long-shelf-life' due to preservatives, ETC., are not good for consumption anyway, right?

Salome

Kingman

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I say twinkies? Must of been a typo or something. I meant to say Moon-Pies, no wait, it was Ding-Dongs, or I think maybe those yummy SnowBalls. Have I been outed?
a friend in america
Shawn

Markcampbell

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

refreshments of mass consumption

Techieatwork

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi all.

Has anyone seen this?

Methylphenidate (i.e. Ritalin) boosts learning by increasing brain plasticity

http://www.physorg.com/news187187471.html

It directly affects the presence of Dopamine, (which Billy has linked to violent behavior, or addiction to violence responses)

so, there is a link between being too violent (amygdala connecting external threats to mechanical violent responses, fight or flight against stress) and dopamine..

The way I see it is, if the brain does have higher than normal dopamine levels, and the person has past learned experiences of being attacked, then will display more aggressive reactions

In the other hand, lack of dopamine (lower than normal levels), also affects the learning and brain plasticity (capacity to self-heal)

There's got to be a balance.. like always

Good diet, good sleep, minimal amounts of violent TV exposure (where the kids become de-sensitized to killing scenes)

Just food for thought.
Salome
Carlos

Darren

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Carlos,

Meth and Dopamine was something that I thought related to street drugs? But I saw nothing in that article that referred to street drugs, namely Methamphetamines. They put amphetamines in non-drowsy cold flue tablets to use to keep people awake. (and drug dealers buy these in bulk and extract the drug back out and then sell it) So is Methylphenidate (ingredients) derived from the group of drugs under amphetamines? The article doesn't say much (anything) in this respect.

Techieatwork

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Darren.

Dopamine (a neuro-transmitter) occurs naturally internally in the brain.

"Neurotransmitters transmit impulses between neurons. (Brown 1994)"

However Darren, your point made me do a further research and found this pearl:

"...Catatonic schizophrenia involves motor disturbances, which alternate between immobility and wild excitement. A paranoid schizophrenic has prominent delusions about persecution.

(Davison & Neale 1990) A number of these symptoms are thought to be caused by biochemical factors. One of the most prominent of these factors is the excessive activity of the neurotransmitter dopamine. This excessive activity will be
explained by the chemistry of the brain and dopamine receptors.

Thousands of chemical processes take place in a functioning neuron. The transfer of information is mediated by neurotransmitters that interact with certain receptors. (Sedvall & Farde 1995)

When drugs block dopamine receptors in the basal ganglia, the symptoms of schizophrenia are reduced.
Amphetamines and other drugs that stimulate the receptors produce schizophrenic symptoms in healthy people. (Brown 1994)

Five dopamine receptors, D1, D2, D3, D4, and D5, have been discovered. Each of the receptors contain about 400 amino acids, and they have seven regions spanning the neural membrane. Their function is to bind to dopamine secreted by presynaptic nerve cells. This binding triggers changes in the metabolic activity of the postsynaptic nerve cells. A study was conducted in which presynaptic dopamine function (measured by the uptake of fluorodopa) was observed by PET (brain scan) in the brains of seven schizophrenic patients and eight healthy people (controls). The fluorodopa influx constant was higher in the schizophrenic patients. Their receptors took up more fluorodopa. In conclusion, these alterations in presynaptic dopamine function constituted a part of the disrupted neural circuits that predispose people to schizophrenia. (Hietala 1995)

The dopamine receptors involved in these processes can be separated into the D1 and D2 families. The D1 family contains
the receptors D1 and D5. The D1 receptors in the brain are linked to episodic memory, emotion, and cognition. These functions are disturbed in schizophrenic patients. In addition, D1 binding of dopamine was found to be lower in schizophrenic patients as compared to healthy subjects of the same age. The binding was lower as a result of fewer D1 receptors. Certain antipsychotic drugs stimulate D1 regulated pathways, which increases the D1 to D2 activity balance in the brain. This balance can also be regained by the release of dopamine."

So, to answer your question related to meth, it seems clear now that it creates temporary schizophrenia (immobility and wild excitement) in normal people and thus is exploited by street chemists.

I was not referring to that in particular (the meth connection), but, your question helped me further my research and understanding. Thanks.

I was referring to the normal dopamine levels, which is a natural occurrence inside the brain, and which can be regulated by good sleep, and peaceful environments.

People's addiction to temporary schizophrenia, explains a lot of things happening out there.

So people go temporary schizo... having outburst of some brain activity, becoming high and feeling the king/queen of the world.. and committing atrocities during that time.

Source of the quotes:
CURE FOR SCHIZOPHRENIA: DOPAMINE AND ITS ROLE
A JOURNEY: CAN BIOLOGICAL CONTROL SYSTEMS BE THE ANSWER TO CHEMICAL REGULATION?
Mushahid M
Salome
Carlos

Techieatwork

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all, again, furthermore in the same topic..

"Asians recognize the need for "brain foods" like eggs and fish and realize that large amounts of soy can cause thyroid problems and inhibit growth. They know that for optimum mental function, soy foods are not a good idea."

http://trit.us/soy/soyandbrain.html

Good article. It explains that;

- Tofu Shrinks Brain

- Soy Inhibits Zinc Absorption

- Soy formulas for infants can contain other neurotoxins: aluminum, cadmium, and fluoride.

- Soy Interferes with Enzymes: soy consumption may lead to chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake

- Plus the known effects of phytoestrogens (quicker development in girls, and delayed development in boys, "man-boobs" and exaggerated un-natural sexual orientation 'confusion')

- Retardation and oblivion to tyranny, as obvious effects of fluoride (shown in experiments with rats, http://www.mind-trek.com/arti-int/961202c.txt)

-------

Overall, it's advisable to Reverse-Osmosis filter your drinking water.. (boiling the water does not help, on the contrary, it concentrates the amounts of the above mentioned neuro-toxins)

now the one-million-dollar question, how to detox the brain (since fluoride accumulates in time in certain area in the brain which I am yet to discover)

How to clear the system from traces of fluoride..

Someone please advise here.

(I will continue my research in the meantime)
Salome
Carlos

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page